Discuss Replacing a MCB in domestic with RCBO - Can it be done with Minor works or full cert? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparkyone

I was asked for my opinion today and we had that discussion today with a fellow spark regarding replacing a MCB in domestic with a RCBO /the board is to earlier edition of BS ans has no RCD/- I said it can be done with Minor Works cert as the GN3 mentions that if you change the whole consumer unit a new cert has to be issued but his point was that changing the protective device is equal to installing a new circuit with which I could not agree as the wires have already been laid off and because with minor works cert you have to verify cpc continuity /and Line and Neutral too to cover the polarity/ plus IR test plus Zs and you have to test the RCBO so basically you do all the tests and since the wires have been laid you are only replacing a protecting device by upgrading it to 17th edition. What do you think?

Re: Replacing a MCB in domestic with RCBO - Can it be done with Minor works or full c

agreee with you. MWC as you are modifying an existing circuit.

Re: Replacing a MCB in domestic with RCBO - Can it be done with Minor works or full c

Yes agree but you would have to do a minor works for each circuit so may be easier to do an install cert has you have to do all the same tests for a minor works anyway

IMHO - Issuing a multi page EIC to a client for a MCB to RBCO change would be madness.

Issuing 2 x MWC's for 2 changes is correct.

An EIC for a board change is a must.

Just saying

yes Agree if only 2 MCBs are changed then yes 2 MWC ok but if you were changing 10 then it may be better to issue a 5 Page EIC instead of 10 MWC so I Guess the role of thumb would be when you get to 5 Alterations then do a EIC :)

Cheers fellows,
I was checking in GN3 and on page 101 there is an example of a MWC showing exactly this - replacing MCB with RCBO so I assume that is a good assurance.

Cheers fellows,
I was checking in GN3 and on page 101 there is an example of a MWC showing exactly this - replacing MCB with RCBO so I assume that is a good assurance.

Good feedback - keep it up, its appreciated on here!

I was asked for my opinion today and we had that discussion today with a fellow spark regarding replacing a MCB in domestic with a RCBO /the board is to earlier edition of BS ans has no RCD/- I said it can be done with Minor Works cert as the GN3 mentions that if you change the whole consumer unit a new cert has to be issued but his point was that changing the protective device is equal to installing a new circuit with which I could not agree as the wires have already been laid off and because with minor works cert you have to verify cpc continuity /and Line and Neutral too to cover the polarity/ plus IR test plus Zs and you have to test the RCBO so basically you do all the tests and since the wires have been laid you are only replacing a protecting device by upgrading it to 17th edition. What do you think?
tell him he`s talking out of his botty hole..

your changing the characteristics of the OPD...not the circuit.

you would be checking that times are being met however...

so: does a minor works allow for a Zs?

yes it does....there...of you go...

Reply to Replacing a MCB in domestic with RCBO - Can it be done with Minor works or full cert? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock