Discuss Replacing a Socket the 4 Homes way in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phil

No mention of any safe isolation, no mention of a volt meter never mind an approved voltage indicator if you want its full title anywhere in the tool list,
Socket back box and faceplate
Cold chisel
Plaster filler
Hammer
Hammer drill and masonry bit (12-18mm)
Electrical screwdriver
Pliers
Wire strippers or craft knife
Gloves
Goggles
Pencil
Spirit level

oh and on the tip list it says to get it signed off by an electrician when you have finished;
finished what? having a cardiac on the floor because you did not check it was safe to work on

No mention of any safe isolation, no mention of a volt meter never mind an approved voltage indicator if you want its full title anywhere in the tool list,
Socket back box and faceplate
Cold chisel
Plaster filler
Hammer
Hammer drill and masonry bit (12-18mm)
Neon Screwdriver Electrical screwdriver
Pliers
Wire strippers or craft knife
Rubber Gloves Gloves
Goggles
Pencil
Spirit level

oh and on the tip list it says to get it signed off by an electrician when you have finished;
finished what? having a cardiac on the floor because you did not check it was safe to work on

........ :)

I can`t believe you didn`t mention the "Cold chisel"
To achieve this you would need the fridge set to 4.5 and place it in for 30 minutes previous to commencing the works

"Step 5

If you are working on a ring circuit, twist together the wires for each terminal (live, neutral and earth), push them into the terminals and screw tightly in place with an electrical screwdriver."

No don't twist them together! Also it says "if its a ring circuit". What if its a radial circuit and its not the end socket? How will a DIYer know?

As Phil says, no mention of testing for dead, locking off or removing the mcb so the wife doesn't turn it on Si she can watch tv whilst diyer has the cables in his hands! Accident waiting to happen.

"Step 5

If you are working on a ring circuit, twist together the wires for each terminal (live, neutral and earths along their entire lengths and shove it down one piece of green sleeving), push them into the terminals and screw tightly in place with an electrical screwdriver."

No don't twist them together! Also it says "if its a ring circuit". What if its a radial circuit and its not the end socket? How will a DIYer know?

As Phil says, no mention of testing for dead, locking off or removing the mcb so the wife doesn't turn it on Si she can watch tv whilst diyer has the cables in his hands! Accident waiting to happen.

It's a joke, and perfectly legal under Part P!

It's a joke, and perfectly legal under Part P!

And also tighten up with an electrical screwdriver! I wonder how many people will take a cordless to the terminals and shatter them?

"Get an electrician in if it doesn't work."

It should say "get an electrician in as it would only cost about £70 and it would be done right."

And next week children we will do a step be step c/u change so no need for those expensive tradesmen that have spent years learning how to do it correctly.

picked up on some install tips, mainly this one. lol

Wrap some masking tape around your drill bit so that you know exactly how deep to drill the hole for the new socket back box.

It says cut back 20mm of outer insulation - WTF. that would be showing lots of bare copper!
I normally only go back 12mm by eye!

I tried to read it but it doesnt open fully :( wonder if complaints have been flowing ) I have also Emailed and told them to check with EICNIC NAPIT ect ect ect and NOT Joe down the pub who it sounds like they have asked

Check out the dimmer switch advice!! Showing a picture of a board with mcb's it then advises to remove the fuse? But thats ok because you've put up a sign asking people not to switch it on because you're working on it!

It says cut back 20mm of outer insulation - WTF. that would be showing lots of bare copper!
I normally only go back 12mm by eye!
whats `outer insulation`?...if you mean the grey....thats not classed as insulation....its there to protect the insulation underneath......and i also generally make off about 30mm of insulation.....then double over the conductor to give 15mm.....unless its a spur off an existing socket of course....then i just make it off 15mm.....

Pretty clever programme planning if you ask me.

Step 1 :Encourage people to fart about in their houses carrying out tasks they haven't got a clue about using duff info.

Step 2 : Locate said people and film new series of homes from hell/diy sos/do my house up for nowt please/can you fix my shoddy work which I should never have attempted in the 1st place.

Genius

Reply to Replacing a Socket the 4 Homes way in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net