Discuss Replacing a standard slimline GE breaker with AFCI on a mulit-wire circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to this forum.
I will be updating an electrical 20 amp circuit from a home built in the early 80s. Since I am modifying a circuit, the NEC requires that I update the existing circuit breaker with an AFCI. As you know, the AFCI is twice as wide as the existing slim line GE circuit breaker. Since the panel is full, I will need to double up on an existing circuit in order to fit in the AFCI.
The thing is, the circuit I am updating is one phase of a multi-wire circuit. I cannot find a 2-pole 20 amp AFCI breaker at an electrical wholesale place nor at a big box store other than a 2-pole 100 amp AFCI.
The other option is that I could add a sub panel off of the 100 amp main panel and move a few circuits over to the sub panel, including the mulitwire circuit that needs the AFCI.
Does anyone have an suggestions on a 2-pole AFCI option? I did see some information where two single AFCI breakers are installed and the neutral terminates one of the AFCI breaker but the two single AFCI breakers will need a tie handle. Thoughts?

I will be updating an electrical 20 amp circuit from a home built in the early 80s. Since I am modifying a circuit, the NEC requires that I update the existing circuit breaker with an AFCI. As you know, the AFCI is twice as wide as the existing slim line GE circuit breaker. Since the panel is full, I will need to double up on an existing circuit in order to fit in the AFCI.
The thing is, the circuit I am updating is one phase of a multi-wire circuit. I cannot find a 2-pole 20 amp AFCI breaker at an electrical wholesale place nor at a big box store other than a 2-pole 100 amp AFCI.
The other option is that I could add a sub panel off of the 100 amp main panel and move a few circuits over to the sub panel, including the mulitwire circuit that needs the AFCI.
Does anyone have an suggestions on a 2-pole AFCI option? I did see some information where two single AFCI breakers are installed and the neutral terminates one of the AFCI breaker but the two single AFCI breakers will need a tie handle. Thoughts?
They don’t make double pole AFCI breakers. What are you doing when you say updating a 20 amp circuit. I need more information on what you want to achieve. Having said that what your doing probably doing don’t require an AFCI breaker It possibly could require a GFCI breaker which is still not going to fit in your panel. Send me more info.

They don’t make double pole AFCI breakers. What are you doing when you say updating a 20 amp circuit. I need more information on what you want to achieve. Having said that what your doing probably doing don’t require an AFCI breaker It possibly could require a GFCI breaker which is still not going to fit in your panel. Send me more info.
Thank you for the reply.
I think you answered my question where 2-pole AFCI don’t exist. I verified this at the electrical wholesale place.

I made some modifications on two different circuits.
A 15A circuit supplying a bedroom was modified by replacing an existing single gang box with a 2-gang old work box. I added an additional SP switch that controls a new overhead light at the center of the bedroom.

A 20A circuit supplying one of two small appliance circuits in the kitchen was modified. The circuit already runs to an existing GGCI outlet. Because part of the wall was removed, I removed an outlet and moved another existing outlet.

It was my understanding that any circuit modifications made requires the existing CB to be updated with a CAFCI? This is for the state of Minnesota. I can always check with the local inspector on this.

Thank you.

Thank you for the reply.
I think you answered my question where 2-pole AFCI don’t exist. I verified this at the electrical wholesale place.

I made some modifications on two different circuits.
A 15A circuit supplying a bedroom was modified by replacing an existing single gang box with a 2-gang old work box. I added an additional SP switch that controls a new overhead light at the center of the bedroom.

A 20A circuit supplying one of two small appliance circuits in the kitchen was modified. The circuit already runs to an existing GGCI outlet. Because part of the wall was removed, I removed an outlet and moved another existing outlet.

It was my understanding that any circuit modifications made requires the existing CB to be updated with a CAFCI? This is for the state of Minnesota. I can always check with the local

Thank you.
I’m going to be honest with you and say that I am a master electrician in NC and Florida but I have never heard of a CAFCI. I don’t know what your state requires but I’m pretty sure you are not violating the NEC with the information that you have given me. I have my continuing education class for 2022 coming up next month and I will ask him but I think that your inspector will agree with me. You can’t install something that doesn’t exist

I’m going to be honest with you and say that I am a master electrician in NC and Florida but I have never heard of a CAFCI. I don’t know what your state requires but I’m pretty sure you are not violating the NEC with the information that you have given me. I have my continuing education class for 2022 coming up next month and I will ask him but I think that your inspector will agree with me. You can’t install something that doesn’t exist
I have to be honest as well. I was at a big box store and happened to notice that there are now DAFCI (Dual Function AFCI) and CAFCI Combination AFCI) breakers now. I had to Google those to see what they are.
Thank you for your help on this. You have a valid point on the existence of slimline AFCI breaker.

I have to be honest as well. I was at a big box store and happened to notice that there are now DAFCI (Dual Function AFCI) and CAFCI Combination AFCI) breakers now. I had to Google those to see what they are.
Thank you for your help on this. You have a valid point on the existence of slimline AFCI breaker.
Well I just learned something new. Have a good day my friend

Well I just learned something new. Have a good day my friend
I goggled CAFCI breakers and they look exactly like a Regular AFCI breaker so I guess they do make them. I’m curious what exactly protection they give you besides being arc fault, short circuit protection and overload protection

I goggled CAFCI breakers and they look exactly like a Regular AFCI breaker so I guess they do make them. I’m curious what exactly protection they give you besides being arc fault, short circuit protection and overload protectionThe AFCI only detected parallel arcing (hot-to-neutral or an arc to ground) in the protected circuit.
So, as you know, the AFCI only detects parallel arcing (hot-to-neutral or an arc to ground) in the protected circuit.

I found this information on how much better CAFCI are over the AFCI.
AFCI breakers did not recognize series arcing (between a small gap or frayed area in the same wire), so the combo-AFCI or CAFCI was developed, which has that additional capability.
Good luck to you!

Could you please explain what exactly what your trying to achieve. They do not make double pole AFCI breakers.

Reply to Replacing a standard slimline GE breaker with AFCI on a mulit-wire circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net