Discuss Replacing a window extractor fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Electric Magic

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've been asked to quote for replacing a window extractor fan on a double glazed kitchen window. I've not done this before so haven't said yes yet as I want to make sure I'm not going to muck up the seal. For those with experience in this area, presumably when the hole for the fan was originally cut (provided it was done properly by a glazier) it should have been sealed independently from the fan unit? E.g. when I remove the fan I should be able to do so without compromising the seal? Or should I steer clear and suggest the customer has a new wall fan instead?

I've never seen a fan on a double glazed sealed unit, but am certain the window will be sealed and will remain so when the fan is removed. You could include a note in your quote that all due care will be taken but you will not be held resonsible if the seal is found to be compromised during the work.

as above.a disclaimer is advised.

reminds me of a job, years ago. i had fited a viper shock sensor to a patio door frame. customer had condensation within the sealed D/G. their "engineer" said it was due to me drilling holes for the viper. "hold on", says me. "look at this. viper attached with superglue, no holes. up yours mate".

I fitted one a couple of years back. It was a replacement fan and the new fan had bolt through connectors to keep both sides of the fan together. In this case the new bolt holes were not in the same position as the old ones so had to replace the DG unit also. Not that expensive but a PITA. So be a bit wary with regards to possible extra costs, and mention this when quoting. You will be able to get tech specs from the extractor websites to see if one particular fan is suitable for the current opening.

Last edited:
reminds me of a job, years ago. i had fited a viper shock sensor to a patio door frame. customer had condensation within the sealed D/G. their "engineer" said it was due to me drilling holes for the viper. "hold on", says me. "look at this. viper attached with superglue, no holes. up yours mate".

Does my head in when companies try to get out of their duties by basically clutching at straws as to why it is not their responsibility. The likelihood of a couple of inch eights screwed into a frame causing a sealed unit to mist up is somewhere between nil and negligible. Obviously yours was glued and I hope you told the 'engineer' to man up!

certainly did. even if i have to screw them on, i use 1/2" x 4's. thing is , these days, PIRs are so cheap and it's easier to conceal the wiring, that fitting shock sensors is not the best option. had an irate customer once, phoned up saying he'd had a false alarm. turned out it was a shock sensor on a window.close investigation showed the imprint in dust of a pigeon's body and wings on the glass with a spattering of what it had recently half eaten. "works then" says the now happy customer.

from the top of everest, he could clearly see anglia , unless he was wearing a safestyle suit

Reply to Replacing a window extractor fan in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock