Discuss Replacing Consumer Unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jason_exact

I have a few question on when an old board is replaced with a new 17th edition board:

Do you have to install cross bonding in the aiiring cupboard if this is not present?

On the test certificate do you put on the limitations about not lifting boards etc?

Is it 1 in 4 sockets tested or less or more?

Any more advice or what you do or dont have to do is more than welcome!

Cheers!

Hey.

If you are only changing a DB then in the extent of installation covered by this certificate box just put in upgrading of consumer unit only.

As far as the testing goes then a full EIC is required for changing a DB.

Before you do any works you need to check the standard of earthing and bonding and advise customer if insufficient, not present etc, as this will need sorting out prior to upgrade.

As for cross bonding in airing cupboard, that's not required.

On a personal note, I always carry out a quick I/R test before upgrading the DB on an installation which has no RCD protection. That way any faults are found before you replace the DB, and again you can advise the customer.

Hope this helps.:D

So apart from the main earth being sufficient for the gas and water main, what other earthing and bonding do i need to check?

CPC's in lighting circuits AND switch drops.

In addition to whats been said, i always put the 'next inspection date' sticker on the CU with "CU CHANGE ONLY" written on it.

That way there is never any comeback as that is all you did.

Yes, but you need to actually check behind light switches to make sure there is a cpc present.

Its fairly common in older installations, for the circuit to have a cpc but not always the switch drops.

Maybe but particular attention should also be made to Page 4:

Quote:

"A disclaimer does not absolve the installer from responsibility"

Its all about risk assessment of each installation found in this condition.

Reply to Replacing Consumer Unit in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock