Discuss replacing cu in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

billybob

Hi,
I am a little confused as to which certs are required for a consumer unit change.
I realise it is classed as major works,so I would therefore assume a full schedule is reqd.
Also,doesn't this make this job a PITA,as you are destined to find all the rubbish on the exhisting circuit,and therfore have to fix it if the rcd trips?
Do you build this in to the cost,or warn before installation?

Obviously,replacing a non rcd board.

Cheers,Kevin.

ps,happy new year!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
I am a little confused as to which certs are required for a consumer unit change.
I realise it is classed as major works,so I would therefore assume a full schedule is reqd.
Also,doesn't this make this job a PITA,as you are destined to find all the rubbish on the exhisting circuit,and therfore have to fix it if the rcd trips?
Do you build this in to the cost,or warn before installation?

Obviously,replacing a non rcd board.

Cheers,Kevin.

ps,happy new year!

Electrical installation cert,full schedule is reqd, your testing should reveal most faults (give a warning that any dodgey appliances might not work/keep tripping rcd)- dole out a warning and cost for fault funding.

I have no idea about your certs., but I know from experience that customers just don't understand things like this. In their mind, you are automatically at fault, because it worked before you did anything. They think you have caused the problem, and are shocked that you are charging them to fix it.

I don't know how legally binding it would be where you are, but maybe you could write up a form they could sign stating that you are not responsible for faulty work or equipment that trips the RCD, and additional cost may be incurred to correct the problems. If nothing else, it makes them aware of the possibility of problems before you even begin work.

If its an old installation, tell them that you would need to do a PIR first to check that the system is safe, meets with the regs and that they have no existing faults.

This way both you and the customer know where you stand for the condition of the installation before the CU is changed.

Any redimial work should be paid for by the customer to bring it upto date and charge for doing the PIR.

As 12345aob has said an EIC is required for a CU change and notification under Part P if a domestic property.

Most CU changes require main bonding and/or main earth upgrading or replacing.

But as Mr G said, a quick PIR would confirm any faults. If there are any then price accordingly including CU.

Also, any minor deviations from current regs need noting on the cert. We are also required to write "CU change only" on the insp & test label that should be fitted on the new CU.

That way you are only responsible for that.

Thanks for the replies.

The job is done and the faults solved.Short in upstairs lighting and damaged ring upstairs,ie has become two radials,therefore is on 20amp mcb now.

As stated,ny confusion was to do with the exact certification required.
So as youve mentioned,it'll be the full EIC cert.

Also I was interested in the best way to handle the situation,as it's inevitable that the old curcuit will contain faults.I guess the problem is persuading the customer that this will happen,and the need for the initial test.

Bit of a can of worms.

As for the bonding,it just required earth bonding to the water inlet,the rest was fine.
Cheers,Kevin.

Reply to replacing cu in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock