Discuss Replacing downlights cost? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, would really appreciate some thoughts on this. Customer has asked me to change all 40 downlights in his flat (yes, 40) from ELV halogen to LED. Some transformers had failed so agreed to change over to GU10. I said I could either change the lamp holders and keep the existing fittings or replace them altogether. He decided on the latter without even questioning the cost. Fitting the new fire rated lights involves enlarging the ceiling cut outs slightly and removing the transformers from the wiring.

If I was only doing a few I'd charge similar price to that for installing new downlights, but as there's so many in this case and they're almost straight swaps other than described above, don't know if he'll think I'm taking the mick. Never had to change so many in one go, wondered what others would consider charging. Lights were 9.50 each excluding bulb.

I did 20 last week, the holes did not need enlarging (careful selection of fitting), took me about half a day, charged based on an hourly rate.

What GU10 fittings cost £9.50 each these days? I'd probably charge on the basis of doing 3 an hour with the caveat of if any cables need replacing it'll be extra. Also, presumably the circuit(s) is/are RCD protected seeing as it's not a like for like change?
[automerge]1583006566[/automerge]
Also if you're enlarging holes (you may of course know this already) you can get holesaw arbors that allow you to put a smaller holesaw inside a bigger one - makes enlarging an existing hole really easy.

You should be paying no more than about a fiver for a gu10 fitting now, decent osram led bulb about £3 ontop. Get yourself a D.A.D.E to help keep dust down and stick one holesaw inside the larger one to keep your enlarged holes in line, (aye) also ensure cpc continuity. It's probably a days work give or take, I cant see there will be much change out of £600

TBH I feel you'd have been better off obtaining integrated fittings which fit the existing hole and cover the mark. Nearly always possible to find one. Most (Like Collingwood or Integral) come with push/clamp connections and are class11. Just cut the 2 core flex close to the tranny and terminate straight into the new fitting. Probably 5 minutes each. Always check that existing joints to the tranny flex are not taped connectors though, often they are and that will need sorting which adds time and cost.

What GU10 fittings cost £9.50 each these days? I'd probably charge on the basis of doing 3 an hour with the caveat of if any cables need replacing it'll be extra. Also, presumably the circuit(s) is/are RCD protected seeing as it's not a like for like change?
[automerge]1583006566[/automerge]
Also if you're enlarging holes (you may of course know this already) you can get holesaw arbors that allow you to put a smaller holesaw inside a bigger one - makes enlarging an existing hole really easy.

These are the ones I got (not from that company though)

Had some left over from a previous job, IP55 ones about 3 quid more. Yes all circuits RCD protected.

Only worry I have with integrated fittings is if I get a dud one and have to pull it back down.

Last edited:
Never had to change so many in one go, wondered what others would consider charging. Lights were 9.50 each excluding bulb.

So many? It's only 40 fittings!
Either work out how long you think the whole job will take and divide that by 40 to get labour per fitting, or work out how long it will take per fitting on average.

Send your price in and if you don't win the job then move on to the next one. Don't forget that winning every quote is a sure sign that you are too cheap.

Reply to Replacing downlights cost? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net