Discuss replacing flex cable on panel heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

itsmrb

Hi all

I was hoping for some advice. I have a dimplex panel heater for the bedroom however the location I want it means that the flax cable isn't long enough to reach the intended socket. I have some spare cable but I've hit a problem. When I tried to remove the current cable I wasn't able to pull it through as there is a little plastic device gripping the cable. In other words where the cable enters the heater, a cable grip is holding in it place. Do I need this or can I just cut below it, remove and old cable and then feed my new in without a grip? Thanks

cam u not open the panel and remove the old flex, u need the cable grip or the manufacture wouldn't av installed it:D cutting the flex and joining out side the unit wud be bit rough

The blacl P.V.C. grommit your refering to is in two peices, stick a small drive under the lip and twist it will pop out ( but they sometimes a bit tight ):D

The blacl P.V.C. grommit your refering to is in two peices, stick a small drive under the lip and twist it will pop out ( but they sometimes a bit tight ):D

Thanks. When I fist looked at it I thought it was solid and some kind of anti-tamper feature! So basically I just need to twist it open with a screwdriver?

The flex looks easy enough to fit as its just 3 wires to screw in and then fit a plug at the other end.

Make sure the shesth is taken into the heater, don't be tempted to strip it back because it's tight ( it will be )

you're best off removing the piece of cable from the appliance and physically taking it down to a local wholesalers, be that b&q or whoever, and saying have you got a longer piece of this please. if you have to swap the plugtop remember to put the fuse from the old one into the new one. check the connections you make by giving them a short tug to prove they are sound.

as long as its heat resitant mate its ok, but you must not use to small a size, its the size of the copper conductors inide the cable that matter, you should get someone just to check its ok, I give no sizes as you cannot be expected to know them. The difference in 1 square mm in a cross sectional area is hard to see by the eye unless compared. Just check its as big or bigger than the one you took out. Regards Jason.

Reply to replacing flex cable on panel heater in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net