Discuss Replacing Fuse Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

EagerApprentice

Hello All.
When replacing a fuse board, what is the procedure for cutting or accessing the terminals via the Electricity supplier seal or lock?
Thanks in advance
EA

Welcome to the forum Eager

- This is a bit of a sticky subject, you are not legally allowed to access the meter or cutout regardless whether the seals are in place or not having said that some area's do allow a notification scheme where the Electrician would cut the seals and fit temp' ones then report to the supplier ..(Maybe Scotland not sure?)

If this scheme is not in your area then the correct method would be to contact the DNO and arrange for them to disconnect and then reconnect to your new board...PS this is expensive though, probably >£200 for them to unscrew 2 cables and then fit them back after.

I would also have a look at existing threads on this matter to get a good idea where you stand and get a overall view, try not to act on the comments of one post that suits your needs without knowing the big picture.

Last edited:
Hello All.
When replacing a fuse board, what is the procedure for cutting or accessing the terminals via the Electricity supplier seal or lock?
Thanks in advance
EA

I take it the DNO has not supplied an Isolator between the meter and the CU you are looking to change?

Same frame of mind with Pete on these matters.

Ask the DNO to fir an Iso switch or to change the smart meter to the newer model with the built in Iso switch/screw on the secondary side. I've only seen a hand full of these but what a great idea for us lot, the designer should be nominated for the Noble Peace Prize! Simple design that makes a big difference to the safety of electricians.

Last edited:
Hello Eager...

As darkwood has said the correct way to do it is to contact the DNO as only they have the authority to remove it, although in fact anyone they 'authorise' can remove it (537.1.3).

When I first became registered I used a CU change for my first assessment. I contacted the DNO and got them to fit an isolator (this was free although some DNO's charge), I then carried out the CU change.

In practice I think many electricians will remove the cut out fuse themselves but I feel it could be dangerous to make it seem like this is the 'norm'. Some Cut out fuses are very dangerous (metal clad cutouts - IET Forums - Cut Out Fuse?).

Like Darkwood said, read the many other threads on this subject and then form your own decision.

Lots of sparks turn of the CU to remove the load and pull the bullet. Off course there is never any seals. You can buy seals from ebay (not the DNO type), do the meter readers ever check the type of seal? or even worry if there is no seal, no off course not, they dont care.

My first job for my assessment was a board change at a friends home. I had pulled the bullet and was working on the CU and the meter man turned up. I was slightly worried to say the least. So I told him what I was doing and he said 'carry on, you are a sparks so we dont care'

Some will have a go at me for this but just pull the fuse and get the job done!!!

Lots of sparks turn of the CU to remove the load and pull the bullet. Off course there is never any seals. You can buy seals from ebay (not the DNO type), do the meter readers ever check the type of seal? or even worry if there is no seal, no off course not, they dont care.

My first job for my assessment was a board change at a friends home. I had pulled the bullet and was working on the CU and the meter man turned up. I was slightly worried to say the least. So I told him what I was doing and he said 'carry on, you are a sparks so we dont care'

Some will have a go at me for this but just pull the fuse and get the job done!!!

Forgot to say, dont do this if it is an old cutout

Delboy, we all know that most electricians pull the fuses, however you know what you are doing and have probably done it many times hence it becomes second nature to you. The OP, having asked this question, shows that he has never done this before so I dont think he should 'just pull it'. He should learn what an 'old cut out' looks like (perhaps the one he is intending to pull is one), he should read up on the dangers involved, he should read up about any protective equipment he should use (some may laugh but I always put my 1000V gloves on when I partake), he should learn the correct procedure... and then, maybe, partake.

Also... Once the fuse is pulled a big, gaping (live) hole is left, quite possibly outside the house for the general public to access whilst we go inside to change the CU. If the OP is going to pull the fuse then he needs to know how to make this safe, and not just popping a bit of tape over it or even forgetting about it.

It is frustrating that only the DNO is tecnically allowed to pull the fuse as this stops their being proper instruction around electricians pulling it.

Delboy, we all know that most electricians pull the fuses, however you know what you are doing and have probably done it many times hence it becomes second nature to you. The OP, having asked this question, shows that he has never done this before so I dont think he should 'just pull it'. He should learn what an 'old cut out' looks like (perhaps the one he is intending to pull is one), he should read up on the dangers involved, he should read up about any protective equipment he should use (some may laugh but I always put my 1000V gloves on when I partake), he should learn the correct procedure... and then, maybe, partake.

Also... Once the fuse is pulled a big, gaping (live) hole is left, quite possibly outside the house for the general public to access whilst we go inside to change the CU. If the OP is going to pull the fuse then he needs to know how to make this safe, and not just popping a bit of tape over it or even forgetting about it.

It is frustrating that only the DNO is tecnically allowed to pull the fuse as this stops their being proper instruction around electricians pulling it.
? take the fuse out of the carrier and pop the carrier back inplace, no one will put there fingers in then.

if you really want to you can put a seal on the empty carrier while you work inside, i was working with a guy before that didnt realise you could remove the fuse from the carrier!!!

shanky887614;1115841[B said:
]? take the fuse out of the carrier and pop the carrier back inplace[/B], no one will put there fingers in then.

if you really want to you can put a seal on the empty carrier while you work inside, i was working with a guy before that didnt realise you could remove the fuse from the carrier!!!

I know that Shanky! That wasn't the point, the OP doesn't know, he's an 'eager apprentice', impressionable, wanting to please and inexperienced. Just don't think he should jump straight in.

I know that Shanky! That wasn't the point, the OP doesn't know, he's an 'eager apprentice', impressionable, wanting to please and inexperienced. Just don't think he should jump straight in.
true, like you say it shouldn't be pulled unless you know how to do it safely.

some idiots ive worked with will just pull it with stuff still on inside!!! i make sure there is no load on it if it is safe to remove, its not always safe for example cast iron ones are dangerous and old dc meter heads.

if you really do want to pull it get your mentor to makesure its safe and gives you permission once all ppe is there and its safe to remove

Last edited:
Need to be wearng this PPE
DNO_fuse_removal.jpg

Not sure if the fleece jacket is correct though..!

Also I spy an isolator already fitted, and he's going to pull the fuse with the isolator ( and the load-presumably) still switched on:shocked3:

Last edited:

Reply to Replacing Fuse Board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net