Discuss Replacing Halogen with LED in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

series530

We're part way through a solar installation and saving power has kind of got to me.

We have 7 50W halogen recessed down lights in our kitchen and, with winter approaching, solar power wont save me anything with these things running in the evening. Consequently, I would like to replace them with LED.

My wife feels that the lighting that these halogens offers is only adequate and that the worktop task lighting (small fl tubes) is fine for this purpose. Thus, whatever we put in the ceiling doesn't have to be better than what is already there - hence my consideration of LED's.

Each of the units is being fed by an Osram HTM-70 transformer. This, I understand has a chopped AC output that isn't ideal for LED's. The outputs drive the 12V halogens using MR16 connections. I believe (and please confirm) that I would need to substitute the HTM's with LED drivers if I want to maintain a decent lifetime for the bulbs. This being the case, I would need to buy bulbs and drivers - making each replacement fairly expensive up front.
Alternatively, I am wondering if I could replace the whole thing with mains wired GU10's. That way, if I bought the GU10 tails and the lamps they should fit in the existing recesses with a little bit of work.

Firstly, is this a sensible approach?

Are there any downsides of GU10's running on mains as opposed to MR-16's with LED drivers running at 12V?

Can you recommend decent quality bulbs (and sources) for the approach that you advocate.

Many thanks.

replace the 12v system with mains operated units! that way you can either retrofit GU10 LEDS into them or buy a LED Unit to replace what you have!!

Aurra and JCC do some nice ones!

oh for lamps in teh units i have fitted my whole house with kosnic 4w GU10's they offer same light as standard 35w lamps! (about £13 a lamp)

I've been fitting ones made by Haler recently -fantastic little unit that's near as damnit a 50W GU10 replacement at only 8W. Combined with integral driver, almost no noticeable heat and only 80mm high so great for a low joist ceiling. Bit more expensive at £30+, but worth the extra IMO.

i fitted some on my landing replacing 5 x 50w halogen spots(the kids like the light left on a night),well impressed,osram leds in warm white,gu10's cant tell the difference from the halogens

yeah rite!! took me nearly 12 coats of paint to white a bloody wall...!! next room bought some trade brade with a lovely dog on and it was done in 2!

or diamond led co . around a tenner a lamp. whichever you decide, then mains voltage GU10 fit is the way to go.

buggers only give me 10% on wednesdays. how do you get the 20%?

only 2 problems with them..... finding a roller tray big enough and getting the paint out of their fur afterwards.

Got talking to a Dutch guy over here, that works in the LED lamp manufacturing side of things for Philips in China. He reckons that LED lamps are cheaper to produce than any of the CFI lamps. So i asked, ...why then are the LEDs so expensive? Because the manufacturers want paying for the R&D, but mostly because they can still get away with the premium retail prices.

They are still however conducting R&D trying to bring wattage down even further, and said to expect to see 4w equivalent 50w G10s within the next 18 months or so. Also told me that in domestic type settings or when lights are being switched on and off regularly, don't expect these long life hours that are associated with LED lamps. The lamp life expectancy figures quoted, are for lamps switched on and off just once a day... And that lamp life can be drastically reduced by frequent switching to that of a typical CFI lamp...

Yeah mains voltage GU10 LED's all the way. Cost less to run, last longer, run cooler. If running cost is important to the consumer the initial outlay is soon repayed by the benefits. Durham sparkys right, halogen lamps are old hat and quality paint is the way to go ! You get what you pay for.

Thanks for that: GU10's all round by the look of it.

So, is it worth paying £10 to £12 or are the cheaper fare on the like of eBay giving decent enough performance?

I am willing to pay in the region of £10 to £12 for a bulb (the GU10 tail being on top of that price) if I am likely to get a much better quality product than something on the auction sites.

Reply to Replacing Halogen with LED in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net