Discuss Replacing Light Switch for a Closet Light. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

it appears that the new switch is 2 way. at a guess, i'd think black to black, brown to blue, block off grey. green is earth. but as it's american, i can only guess.

It's a smart switch. Says "Neutral Wire required"... what is the worst that can happen if I do what you said? I would have to block off green as well. I don't see a green in there.

on the photo, i see brown, black, grey, and green. ( or is the green blue. it's sort of turqouise in pic.),

More of a "jade"...but my eye ain't wot it used to be...although it's not a patch on the other one...well, actually, it is...

if it's a "closet" light, when's it going to "come out"?

Here is a picture of the original setup.
View attachment 51723View attachment 51723

I see one blue wire and one black wire.

Now, How would I about wiring this new Switch.

View attachment 51724

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!
You can’t install this switch without hiring an electrician to pull you a neutral but new code change in 2017 on new installation you have to pull a neutral to all light switches just for this Reason
[automerge]1568937053[/automerge]
it appears that the new switch is 2 way. at a guess, i'd think black to black, brown to blue, block off grey. green is earth. but as it's american, i can only guess.
Tel the colors are black, red, white and green. The black or hot goes to black and the red goes to the light and you know the other wires. White is allways neutral unless marked with black tape where y’all use sleeves

Last edited:
It's a smart switch. Says "Neutral Wire required"... what is the worst that can happen if I do what you said? I would have to block off green as well. I don't see a green in there.
2k I looked at your picture and I see a white wire in the opening in the wall and that is your neutral black to black white to white blue to the red and since there appears to be no ground so just tape it up please tell me your not going to hook this up if you are not an electrician

Reply to Replacing Light Switch for a Closet Light. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock