Discuss Replacing light switches question! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

robgb

I have dimmer switches throughout my flat, and I jave just purchased regular switches to replace them. I am having difficulty working out how to go about rewiring them, as the new plates look totally different to the old ones. Please see the photos attached.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• new.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 88
  • old.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 89
Id take the advice and get a sparky in.. This aint DIY SOS im affraid bud.. Just becuase there is a lovely green cable doent mean there is an earth im affraid...

Good luck though and for a job like that id charge £40 call out to change in your in the Gateshead areas..

If you adminat to play around ...MAKE SURE THE SUPLY IS ISOLATED...

Ok, thanks guy. I guess my main query is - have I bought the right switched to replace the old ones, as they look completely different on the wiring?

How do you think a switch works and do you understand anything about domestic electrics?

Have a think and then i think you have your answer

Hi Rob
guessing you feel that some of the replies are harsh?! we get a lot of people like you on here (no disrespect!)
diy'ers looking for a tutorial on how to do various bits n pieces. sadly for you and them, this ain't that kinda place I'm afraid! for two reasons-1) we earn a living selling our skills.not gonna give it away got free now are we?!
but chiefly because we don't want to tell
Someone how to do something, that person go make an --- of it, and hold us liable.
best bet is to post your location and get a local spark in.shouldn't cost too much for what you want.
take a look through here :)
http://www.electriciansforums.net/showthread.php?t=531

Those switches should work fine.
I couldn't comment on how to wire them exactly because I can't see what's going on with the old switch. There's a black so I'm guessing it's 2 way.

GIGAWATTS_zps32c0b621.jpg

It used to be that getting a spark to come and do a wee job like this was either impossible or very expensive.

That's no longer the case. You'll get someone to come and do this safely, correctly and inexpensively.

Reply to Replacing light switches question! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net