Discuss Replacing old ceiling light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi
I would greatly appreciate some guidance.
I am replacing a standard ceiling light with an LED one.
To explain.

2 cored wires in to ceiling rose:
earths together.
2 red together and isolated on separate 'clamp', not attached.
2 blacks as the 2 contacts for the hanging light unit.

The wall switch has a single wire in with red, black to the switch contacts.

The LED unit has Live, Neutral and Earth connections.
I assume at the moment that the current light unit is permanently live with the switch completing the circuit.

So now how do I wire up the LED unit to replace it?

Appreciate guidance.
Andy

Welcome to the forum mate.
Best to take a pic of the existing wiring and post it on here. It's also good practice for you as well, just in case you forget what wires go where.
If you want you can mark up the wires.
Also post a pic up on the new light connectors/wires.
Make sure the power is switched off before messing with anything.

Thanks Spoon
Picture attached.
ceiling rose.jpg
I am a reasonably competent DIY worker. I have put on spur sockets etc and replaced standard light units, sockets, switches, but know when there is something I don't quite understand and when to ask.
the earth lead going out the side of the picture was attached to the light fitting.

oh and the LED is simply a block on the side of the unit so you can't see any wiring etc. the LED unit has about 30 small LEDs in spiral.
Andy

Last edited:
that LED fitting has only room for 1 cable. you need to make your connections in the ceiling void using , for example, a wago box and connectors, then from there a single T/E to the light.

Thank you but can I just clarify:
I understand wago connectors, but I don't know what I am connecting to what.
Am I connecting both reds via a wago to + on the LED light and both blacks via wago to -, and earths to earth?
Or am I replicating the current set up by joining and isolating the 2 reds with a wago and then using the 2 blacks one each on the + and - on the LED?

I am assuming the former but am just aware that I get one chance with the LED light to not blow it.
thanks
Andy

Last edited:
No to your first assumption! Your second guess is correct.
You need to connect the two reds together in a connector. They do not connect to anything else.
the two blacks, one goes to L on the light and the other goes to the N.
the two earth wires go to the earth terminal on the light.
That’s all you need to do.

PS. + and - are used in DC circuits. Not in AC circuits.

Reply to Replacing old ceiling light in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net