Discuss Replacing oven element help in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi just wanted some advice on replacing oven element . I've ordered one of ebay that stated it was for my oven but when i got it , it is 2100w 230v and my old one is 2800w 240v. Would this be ok to use? Ive connected it all up and it fits fine but as the voltage is higher on my old one but my new one is higher in wattage will this even its self out? Also I've put it on just to test and its heating up the oven ,so is working but didn't want to continue to use it if its unsafe.please can someone let me know if its ok to use. Thanks in advancd

The UK single phase (typical domestic) supply used to be nominally 240V, but with EU harmonization it was changed to 230V some years ago. Except by and large nothing was changed, we just fudged the tolerances and called it 230V instead of 240V.

However, the new element seems to be a slightly lower power (you have to compare them at the same voltage, but taking that into account, it is still a bit lower). This means it will take a little longer to heat up. If this the correct part now available for the oven then it should be fine.

what he said ^^^^^. should be fine.

The UK single phase (typical domestic) supply used to be nominally 240V, but with EU harmonization it was changed to 230V some years ago. Except by and large nothing was changed, we just fudged the tolerances and called it 230V instead of 240V.

However, the new element seems to be a slightly lower power (you have to compare them at the same voltage, but taking that into account, it is still a bit lower). This means it will take a little longer to heat up. If this the correct part now available for the oven then it should be fine.

Hi thanks for your reply, but the new element is higher which i have stated,sorry if i haven't made it clear. My new element is 2100w and old one is 1800w . so what I'm asking is it ok to use a element 300w more or is there a chance it could overheat and be unsafe? Thanks

Hi thanks for your reply, but the new element is higher which i have stated,sorry if i haven't made it clear. My new element is 2100w and old one is 1800w . so what I'm asking is it ok to use a element 300w more or is there a chance it could overheat and be unsafe?

Your original post stated the old element to be 2800W 240V, possibly there was a typo in that post?

If you are now saying the old element in fact was 1800W, then I'd perhaps check with the manufacturer that the new element is OK. Some manufacturers have online resources which will show what spare parts should be used, including substitutes when the original part is no longer available.

Hi thanks for your reply, but the new element is higher which i have stated,sorry if i haven't made it clear. My new element is 2100w and old one is 1800w . so what I'm asking is it ok to use a element 300w more or is there a chance it could overheat and be unsafe? Thanks

it cannot overheat as the thermostat will cut out at whatever temperature is set on the dial. as you new element is a higher rating, it will:
1. draw more current, about 15-17% more, the wiring on the oven should cope with this.
2. attain temperature silightly quicker.

just ensure that the spade terminals connecting to the element are clean and tight. these are a common cause of failure after prolonged use.

Thanks for the replys , so it should be ok to use the new element without causing a fire or anything dangerous with the wiring ect? The terminals seem clean and were sorry of tight ,i could still slide them off no matter how much i tightened them with pliers but they seem to be stable on the element, why would this cause a failure? The terminals were tighter on the old one because i had to unclip them . The place i bought it from on eBay has just informed me they do a 1800w for my oven and they had a 2100w one because there was a newer model out of it. The new one is £15 and it would mean i have to discconect it all again and then send the old one back. The one i got cost £9 and i would have to pay for postage to send it back, so is it worth the hassle ?

Thanks for the replys , so it should be ok to use the new element without causing a fire or anything dangerous with the wiring ect? The terminals seem clean and were sorry of tight ,i could still slide them off no matter how much i tightened them with pliers but they seem to be stable on the element, why would this cause a failure? The terminals were tighter on the old one because i had to unclip them . The place i bought it from on eBay has just informed me they do a 1800w for my oven and they had a 2100w one because there was a newer model out of it. The new one is £15 and it would mean i have to discconect it all again and then send the old one back. The one i got cost £9 and i would have to pay for postage to send it back, so is it worth the hassle ?
can't see a problem with the one you have fitted. if you are concerned, buy the 1800watt, but keep the 2100 watt in. that saves postage, and you have a spare.

Reply to Replacing oven element help in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net