Discuss Replacing (RCD) fuse box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Michael999

How long would it take to replace a fuse box with a new(RCD) box?

Small 3 bed semi-detached house, with Aqualisa power showers,recently re-wired.

Why do I ask? I (upnorth) spoke to our trusted electrician who has done work for me and my familyfor the past 20 years and asked him for a price and he told me £100 for partsand 3 hours labour £100 total £200. Myson (down south) who is buying the house that needs (according to the surveyor)a new RCD unit has been quoted £350.

The price of materials is the same in the north as it is inthe south does the cost of labour vary across the country?

TIA

Mike

£350 is around the average price for a board change.It's not just changeing the fuseboard it also involves a full test of the circuit's plus notification.

£200 sounds like your trusted electrician is doing you a favour with 'mates rates' as you always use him.

It's not so much a North/South divide thing though prices do obviously vary.

agreed^^^^ £200 is a very good price. bear in mind that you have stated yours has been recently rewired, so the job may be more straightforward than your son's.

£350 is average price in my opinion.

I have done CU changes for family etc for £100 cash with all materials at cost before but as said that a good price

£350 in Bristol from me:thumbsup

There are cheaper but what kind of job can be expected is unknown?

Just be sure to ensure the person carrying out the work can notify the work to local authority building control as per part P of the Building regulations as this is required by law:thumbsup

i do fuseboards for £200- £250 in devon but if the bonding needs doing it'd be £350, takes about 2-3 hours to change a fuseboard and 2 hours to test it if its about 6 circuits. a fuseboard to buy is between £80 - £120 depending if you want a duel rcd fully loaded board or a board populated with 8 rcbos (denmans - designa curve 93+vat)

£200 for a cu change, test and part p notification - one suspects its a cash job with no notification.

£350.00 is a reasonable cost and it should take about 1 full day, baring any issues being identified.

If its a recent rewire, why is a new CU required?

I always allow 1 Day for a fuseboard change.

so I would be charging £350 - £400

Fuseboard changes are rarely plain sailing, however if you have had a recent re-wire then perhaps your sparky is confident there will be no problems.

Im glad I don't live up there..... £350 all day long. Taking the old board off and putting a new one on is perfectly doable in 3 hours (or even an hour and a half) if the circumstances are good, but with testing, certing, rectifying, notifying and what not, anything much less than £350 is silly.

With regards to labour costs north and south....in my experience the sparkys working with 50 miles of london arn't particularly desperate for work, even now so can afford to charge the going rates. From what I hear, its not like that in much of the north these days.

Depends on the make of board, but for a standard dual-RCD board I would agree with the others... £350-£400 including testing and notification. Adding RCBO's is what tends to push the price up.

Is there some 'body' which sets guidelines and standards on how long a job should take? I know, for example, that if I take my car in for a part to be removed and fitted some 'body' has agreed that will take x hours. It's all very well for you here to say I'll spend all day doing that, if it can be done in 3 hours or 4 hours why should I pay for someone (who may be less efficient) to spend 8 hours doing it?

£400 is my "standard" charge for a board swap in a typical 3 bed.

£200 is way too cheap for my liking. I'd be wondering about those niggly hard to find faults that won't be detected. That's if there's any testing going on at all (other than the new RCDs "testing" the installation after fitting).

It's all very well for you here to say I'll spend all day doing that, if it can be done in 3 hours or 4 hours why should I pay for someone (who may be less efficient) to spend 8 hours doing it?

May be the person who takes 7-8 hours is more thorough and dilligent.

Have you asked the sparky who's quoted you £200 what will you be getting for your money? To set your expectation you will get an EIC (electrical installation certificate) with a schedule of inspections completed for each circuit and if you live in England or Wales your Part P notification, plus of course an invoice!

Is there some 'body' which sets guidelines and standards on how long a job should take? I know, for example, that if I take my car in for a part to be removed and fitted some 'body' has agreed that will take x hours. It's all very well for you here to say I'll spend all day doing that, if it can be done in 3 hours or 4 hours why should I pay for someone (who may be less efficient) to spend 8 hours doing it?

that analogy is a bit different. agreed, there is a set time specified with car repairs. e.g. 3 hours to remove and refit a gearbox. but then, during that job, it may be found that the clutch is knackered and would entail a further hour.

The problem with your thinking here:

You should be employing the Local tradesman that is Dilligent, thorough, guaranteeing his work and doing his up-most best to do a fantastic job for you.

However it seems from your post that you would prefer to employ a tradesmen that will be cutting corners, buying bad quality equipment, and doesn't much care for you safety - would you know the difference between a properly filled out Electrical safety certificate and one that has been made up?

I hope that your Electrician is just short on work and is cutting his prices and NOT his standard of work.

However, I personally would never cut my prices, I am a professional tradesmen you pay for what you get.

Well that's probably the labour guides that a garage would use are usually set by the manufacturer. The manufacturer know exactly how the car is put together so can have a very accurate estimate on how long each job should take.

If i had rewired you house then you come back a while later and ask for a CU upgrade, then chances are I would probably quote less than somewhere i'd never set foot in. That's because i'd have a pretty good idea of whats what and that everything that should be was in place, bonding etc.

As a spark you can't win win most customers. Lets go back to your garage example. Go in and ask them what their hourly rate is, then ask the spark the same question. I can almost 100% bet that 99.99% of the public wouldn't even raise an eyebrow when the garage say 40 quid plus the VAT, but if the electrician says the same, they're seen as being a rip off merchant and too expensive.

Would love to know what the OP does for a living. Or do you volunteer you time for free:dita:

round here the back street garages charge £50/hour + VAT. the main dealers you're talking £90. talk about being in the wrong trade!!!

The thing is I will not do a fuseboard and all it entails for £200 more like £400+ earthing if this guy is ok then bite his hand off for £200 although I am just not getting this because you say you know him something is not adding up for me.

Also I have had customers try to screw me right down on cost but the funny thing is most of them will spend £20-£25k on a car £3-£4k on a good holiday but for some reason just will not spend £400-£500 on a decent fuseboard with all that it entails so my friend you need to ask yourself is you and your families safety more important than your car or holdiay

Reply to Replacing (RCD) fuse box in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock