Discuss Replacing switch and now the light stays on in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I replaced a switch that was connected to the ceiling fan light kit and another ceiling light and now when I turn the power back on the light stays on and the switch does nothing. The old switch had the wires pushed into the back and I've wrapped them around the terminals but I don't know why that would be an issue. Including 3 pictures that are the old switch when I reconnected it the same as the new switch and it has the same result. Do the wires need to get pushed into the back of the switch to work correctly? Or do I need more than the cheapest single pole switch?

Attachments

• Replacing switch and now the light stays on Switch1 - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch1.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Replacing switch and now the light stays on Switch2 - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch2.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Replacing switch and now the light stays on Switch3 - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 18
It should make no difference if you use the push in terminals or not. Have you changed anything at the actual light fitting and has the other switch been replaced.

Based on that something must be different at the fan switch. Can you show a picture of the wiring at both switches. Are there any lights off in the house with the light switch off.

Here are 2 more pictures. When the light switch is off the lights remain on. When I turn the fan on and off nothing happens with the lights.

Attachments

• Replacing switch and now the light stays on Switch01.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch01.JPG
    84.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Replacing switch and now the light stays on Switch02.JPG - EletriciansForums.net
    Switch02.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 11
Is there just two wires at the fan switch.

Yes, 2 wires for each switch. I've left the top black wire alone on the fan switch but have tried every other combination between both switches of the other 3 wires and still same effect, fan switch works normal but lights stay on.

could be a faulty switch, not going open circuit when OFF.

So far I've tried 2 different switches but may need to upgrade to a better quality switch. I'll try some more new ones to see if there is any change.

Reply to Replacing switch and now the light stays on in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock