Discuss Replacing tails/DNO seals etc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

Octopus

Having read a few threads on here isn't it about time that our trade organisations got together and petitioned the suppliers to agree a consistent process by which all registered part p electricians can break seals on the main fuse for isolation, the seal on the meter and then replace them with temporary seals.

Got a last minute CU change to do this week and I doubt I'll be able to get the "supplier" out to isolate the house for me - what a pain!!

Anyone in favour?

If you are working in scottish and southern electricitys area there is allready a scheme in place where you can get temp seals
no such luck with edf though

Having read a few threads on here isn't it about time that our trade organisations got together and petitioned the suppliers to agree a consistent process by which all registered part p electricians can break seals on the main fuse for isolation, the seal on the meter and then replace them with temporary seals.

Got a last minute CU change to do this week and I doubt I'll be able to get the "supplier" out to isolate the house for me - what a pain!!

Anyone in favour?

Anyone in favour?

They did try and failed as no agreement could be reached.

Last edited by a moderator:
As said before, in our area, all new supplys and service renewals (replacement supplys) are fitted with a meter with an isolator and the facility to remove the customer side tails without being able to interfere with the supply side tails - Gonna take a few years to come to evry property mind!

was a long drawn out debate last year over it which conluded in the energy providers spitting their dummys out and saying no, its much safer for a meter fitter to attend a 1 day course and learn to do it correctly rather than allow us stupid electricians to have a go.

I have decided round here they use radio seals, twice now the meter reader has turned up whilst I am doing a CU change!!!

Both times they said that as long as the main meter seal is still intact it does not matter that the other seals fell off.

As the guys have said its been disgust , the ESC are still in talks with them regarding this infact the ESC have got a picture of mine (Before you say it not a pic of me ) but a picture of a Meter with numerouse sizes of tails ,i agree something needs to be done and in another post on the subject it was suggested that a course be done so we can do this work ,i would like a seal with numbers issued to the spak for him and other numbered seals for every one then its written on the cert in the comments or limitations box so its traceable ive now twice contacted the DNO and arranged work so they can cut and re seal but on each occasion they have not turned up very annoying when one site was a two hour drive away and ive got to go back i have done the same for a CDU change tomorrow bet they dont turn up

eeez,

For the vast majority, ....There what your called ''semi semi skilled'' And in reality, using the word ''skilled'' in the same sentence as meter fitter is somewhat tongue in cheek, to say the least!!! lol!!!

I know it is not always practical, but I've found that if you ring up the Suppliers, tell them you are doing a CU change, would they be kind enough to come and fit a isolation switch and new tails to the old CU at the property, then they are quite willing to send someone out to fit the isolator. Of course, you'll probably have to buy the Iso and tails beforehand.
It costs £30ish more, but it certainly worth it to save time and trouble.
I've done it twice in the last 3 months for CU changes, and both were done within 2 weeks, which was perfect for me, as i usually book jobs in 2 - 3 weeks ahead.
Alan.

Don't you think the customer has paid enough in standing charges over the years, not to be supplied a switch fuse completely free of charge.... Well not free, they have paid for it many times over and will continue paying long after it's been installed!!! lol!!!

Especially when one of the electricity suppliers is british gas with its billions of pounds of profit , its some of thier meters very complicated subject

UPDATE

So I did the "right thing" and contacted EDF and duely booked 2 slots (cost of £35.00 being added to the customers bill), one for them to come and cut the seal and another to re-seal.

On the day 2 men from EDF turned up (apparently they are not busy), and to their credit they let me call them directly to let them know when I was ready for them, rather than waiting for the 2nd time slot.

So I asked them why EDF have such a painful process, whereas a little over a mile down the road, Southern let me cut and re-seal using temporary seals - to my amazement they told me that EDF is going to change its policy in about 3 months. I'm not holding my breath but maybe EDF will do the right thing!

I just call the supplier and ask for a 100amp Isolator to be fitted before I do a board change. Makes life so much easier. Cost passed on to the customer but it's got to be done. Plus makes it easier for future works.

UPDATE

So I did the "right thing" and contacted EDF and duely booked 2 slots (cost of £35.00 being added to the customers bill), one for them to come and cut the seal and another to re-seal.

But surely it would have been far easier, and better long term for them to fit an isolator switch?
I just cannot understand why you would pay to have the seals replaced, when for the same cost you get the switch fitted, and make it far easier for maintenance in the future, and have it all done in one visit, with no need to call them again.
Alan.

But surely it would have been far easier, and better long term for them to fit an isolator switch?
I just cannot under why you would pay to have the seals replaced, when for the same cost you get the switch fitted, and make it far easier for maintenance in the future.
Alan.

If you've seen the "box" you would understand why I took this decision, its full of an 8 way MET along with all the cables plus a henley block with 3 sets of outgoing tails. Slightly full up and really messy, not something I wanted to get involved in at this time. The cost was paid by the customer so no problem to me.

Reply to Replacing tails/DNO seals etc in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock