Discuss Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So, my set up is a little different to most people's. The switch I'm wanting to replace is a retractive switch, but the wiring behind the switch includes: yellow, black, blue, earth and a thick grey wire with a red stripe running the whole way down the middle.

I managed to get the dimmer working yesterday, however I could only turn the lights on and off from the same switch. The pull-cord by my bad wouldn't work. I swapped some wires around and put in the retractive switch again, but now it isn't working. I've replaced the dimmer switch as it needed to go back, but I'm just looking for some advice as to how it should all go together.

Is it even possible for me to have a two-way switch setup using a dimmer on one side and a pull-cord on the other? Where should each of the wires go, ideally? I know that there has to be a common wire, but the other light doesn't really show me anything!

This is the set up at the switch I’m replacing. Don’t worry - that isn’t how it was left!

Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. 918C9CC8-21FF-4795-9DFF-338CC824EBC4 - EletriciansForums.net

And this is the wiring at the other light, along with the dimmer terminals

Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. B0AEF6E5-B28F-4F13-87DC-07CEFAA759EA - EletriciansForums.net

Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. 315B57E0-8313-4085-924B-C7EDF9E403A0 - EletriciansForums.net

Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. image - EletriciansForums.net

What does it say about 2 way switching?

Your "thick grey with red stripe" is just a red with the grey sheath still attached. If you pull the cables out the wall a little, you'll see you have a twin-and-earth and a 3-core-and-earth.
Perfectly normal for a 2 way lighting circuit.

If the last pic there is your new dimmer, it doesn't look like a 2 way to me. It needs 3 terminals to be 2 way

Sorry, Murdoch. Go for it!

That little white sticker on the dimmer switch is the instructions it seems.
Should say how to wire it up.
In any case the thick grey cable with red bit down the middle really made me chuckle.
Maybe its all the cider i have drunk today.
I will say it as nobody else has.
Call a local electrician in.
It wont take more than half an hour to either tell you if your switches are suitable or if they arent then the solution and likely price.
But dont call on a sunday. That.might be a bit more expensive.

That little white sticker on the dimmer switch is the instructions it seems.
Should say how to wire it up.
In any case the thick grey cable with red bit down the middle really made me chuckle.
Maybe its all the cider i have drunk today.
I will say it as nobody else has.
Call a local electrician in.
It wont take more than half an hour to either tell you if your switches are suitable or if they arent then the solution and likely price.
But dont call on a sunday. That.might be a bit more expensive.

It's just irritating more than anything. It's supposed to be a pretty simple job, that for some reason is just proving to be a nightmare! I need to try and get the new switch in at some point very soon - I have no lights otherwise!

I didn't realise there was a third terminal behind the sticker.
Is it exactly the same as the switch you are replacing?
The new switch has an earth terminal on it. Use it for the earth conductors.
Connect the red and black of the twin cable to the 2 terminals on show. That will give you light over the weekend, but not 2 way operation.
Terminate the 3 core cables safely into separate connectors and leave in the box behind the switch.

Monday morning, call a pro. Is there no forum members could help out with a home visit?

Crikey, that fiestpic is it the finished connection, cus if it is you need to get an Electrician in to do the job prperly, come to that you need an Electrician any way.

Crikey, that firest pic is it the finished connection, cus if it is you need to get an Electrician in to do the job prperly, come to that you need an Electrician any way.

Don't berate yourself about the difficulty in this configuration. Two way and three way lighting is one of the stumbling blocks in learning electrics. It as always is easy if you know how. However it may require the help of an experienced spark.

that switch certainly looks as if it's only a 1 way. if so, it will never work.

Reply to Replacing two-way switch with dimmer. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock