Discuss Replacing Underfloor Heating With Wall Heaters? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sl1210

Hi guys,

Went to see a job yesterday where the whole flat has underfloor heating, which has packed up and now they want a quote to replace this system with electric wall hung heaters. Because of the size of the property I reckon it will need at least 5 heaters. The property currently has 2 ring circuits, 1 for the kitchen/dining area and 1 for the rest of the flat.

1 of the five heaters I can spur of the kitchen ring, but not sure where to take the supply for the other 4 as I'm sure the load would be too much to have 4 electric heaters on the other 32a ring, with each one spurred off the nearest available socket.

Now the current underfloor heating seems to spread on 3 individual circuits in the consumer unit on 16a mcbs, but the supply doesn't seem to go to spurs for each thermostat, I think it goes straight to the stats. There are currently 5 underfloor heating stats. I think they are all connected to some kind of relay in the consumer unit, which is always making some sort of clicking noise when I tried testing the underfloor heating.

Is there any way possible to put these on the ring, or would I need to break down the load with wherever these 16a feeds are going too.

Cheers

i think someone else has already been in and condemned it and given them a quote to replace the system. i think they just want another quote from me.

i was only there briefly last night, to be honest i never done any resistance tests. i just went round and set all the stats on to 35 degrees and not one of the floors heated up. theres definitely a problem somewhere. i don't think they want to start lifting all the wooden flooring up, so they just want to replace the system.

strange that all 5 stats are not working???

i would do some more investigation into what is wrong with the u/f system. can't be that 5 elements or 5 stats have all failed.

yes i agree it needs further investigation and will strongly recommend this. but they have asked for a quote and so i'm looking at possible alternatives. ideally i would like to try to use the existing power supplies, so that i don't have to run dreaded trunking all over the flat back to the consumer unit ;)

yes i agree it needs further investigation and will strongly recommend this. but they have asked for a quote and so i'm looking at possible alternatives. ideally i would like to try to use the existing power supplies, so that i don't have to run dreaded trunking all over the flat back to the consumer unit ;)

Do your research mate the last thing you want is to suggest some electric heating that is too expensive to switch on

Hi guys,

Went to see a job yesterday where the whole flat has underfloor heating, which has packed up and now they want a quote to replace this system with electric wall hung heaters. Because of the size of the property I reckon it will need at least 5 heaters. The property currently has 2 ring circuits, 1 for the kitchen/dining area and 1 for the rest of the flat.

1 of the five heaters I can spur of the kitchen ring, but not sure where to take the supply for the other 4 as I'm sure the load would be too much to have 4 electric heaters on the other 32a ring, with each one spurred off the nearest available socket.

Now the current underfloor heating seems to spread on 3 individual circuits in the consumer unit on 16a mcbs, but the supply doesn't seem to go to spurs for each thermostat, I think it goes straight to the stats. There are currently 5 underfloor heating stats. I think they are all connected to some kind of relay in the consumer unit, which is always making some sort of clicking noise when I tried testing the underfloor heating.

Is there any way possible to put these on the ring, or would I need to break down the load with wherever these 16a feeds are going too.

Cheers

I would be having a real close look at that

You say it probably requires 5 "heaters" - I guess then that you are not talking about storage heaters! I would question using convector heaters as a replacement as the operating costs are likely to be prohibitive. Check if you can use any of the u/floor radial circuits as supplies and look at storage heaters; these will already presumably be on a different tarriff.

I have also seen a German manufactured infra-red heating system which can use a domestic tarriff; can't recall the name at the mo, but will look it up and post the name if I find it.

Regards

Reply to Replacing Underfloor Heating With Wall Heaters? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net