Discuss Replacing VOELCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

Not come across a VOELCB protected system before so apologies if I'm being stupid.

It's a TT system, but the only shock protection is the 30mA RCD on the socket circuits and the (knackered, test button doesn't work) VOELCB on the main isolator.

Just wondering whether to just replace the CU main switch with a 100mA RCD, or to replace the VOELCB unit with a new isolator with RCD protection.

I'm thinking just replacing the CU main switch and leaving the VOELCB to act purely as an isolator. Does this sound ok?

If it's a TT system replace the VOELCB with a 100mA S type RCD either as the main CU switch or in it's own enclosure external to the CU. All circuits on a TT system should be protected by 30mA RCD's or RCBO's. They are the primary means of protection against earth faults on TT systems that have naff Ra values. RCD's are only ''Addition'' protection on DNO TN supplies....

There's several ways you could go about it with a 100mA RCD but if the VOELCB isn't functioning correctly I would retire it to the bin, I wouldn't even leave it as an isolator.

Cheers for the advice guys.

I'll look at getting rid of the VOELCB and putting an isolator in. Might as well replace the whole board considering how cheap they are and get everything under a 30mA RCD.

Thanks!

There's several ways you could go about it with a 100mA RCD but if the VOELCB isn't functioning correctly I would retire it to the bin, I wouldn't even leave it as an isolator.

The VOELCB are all 30+ years old now, and most didn't work correctly since the day they were installed, due to parallel earth paths etc, many being by-passed or defeated.... So in all honesty, they should be binned whenever possible...

Cheers for the advice guys.

I'll look at getting rid of the VOELCB and putting an isolator in. Might as well replace the whole board considering how cheap they are and get everything under a 30mA RCD.

Thanks!

By far a better solution would be to replace the VOELCB with an S type RCD on a TT system, that will then be your ''Additional'' protection for a safer TT system....

Yeah, I would agree, they were the best technology available in their day but they were hit and miss at best. Given the low cost of RCD's nowadays replacement on sight would be a good option.

I have a customer with a VOELCB on a TT system. Old fuse boards in use.

He's doing a massive amount of development work to the house, and the electrode is the first thing in the way.

I'd advised him that I should replace the VOELCB and put in a new dual RCD consumer unit before he starts the work, but he was adamant he didn't want to do that until new CU goes in with all new wiring.

So I advised him to check with DNO that PME was available. DNO came out, checked ELCB was working okay - it is (my MFT can't test it, for some reason) - and they confirmed: "PME available if required".

The DNO also said I could do the PME, which I did, installing a MET and connecting the supply head neutral to the MET with 16mm2. Ze now 0.16 and Zs at a selected test socket fell from 22.8 to 0.25

Now, as I understand the way a VOELCB works, it looks at difference in potential between earth spike and internal earth (from the CPC). As the customer was removing the earth spike there was no point in using that earth connection for the VOELCB, so I hooked both earth terminals up to the MET.

Has this turned the VOELCB into just a plain 2 pole isolator, or can it still function? Test button causes it to trip. Ideally, I would install at least a TD 100mA isolator switch in its place, but customer doesn't want to spend anything on electrics at moment.

The DNO also said I could do the PME, which I did, installing a MET and connecting the supply head neutral to the MET with 16mm2. Ze now 0.16 and Zs at a selected test socket fell from 22.8 to 0.25

Who told you, that you can do the PME conversion on DNO equipment yourself?? The lazy so and so that came to look at your installation?? Be warned, ...Unless you have that permission written on official headed paper, signed by no less than the Area engineer responsible, (which i know you don't have) then you could well find yourself in some serious trouble in the future!!! The DNO's cannot delegate their responsibilities to others outside of their company, or their certified contractors under their employ.

Last edited by a moderator:
why dont you just replace the voelcb with a 30ma rcd untill the work is finished put in another electrode temp for now and see if you can have pme at the finish. this will give you correct protection on all circuits + keep the builders safe

Leaving aside for the moment the self connected 16mm
Was the bonding also brought up to standard in order to avail yourself of the Pme facility

By far a better solution would be to replace the VOELCB with an S type RCD on a TT system, that will then be your ''Additional'' protection for a safer TT system....
I'm not aware that a 100mA RCD can be used as additional protection.
To my mind it would primary fault protection, and a 30mA device would be additional.

I'm not aware that a 100mA RCD can be used as additional protection.
To my mind it would primary fault protection, and a 30mA device would be additional.

Really, how do you work that out then, there is little chance of ADS working as primary protection on a UK TT system?? The 100mA S type isn't going to trip before a 30mA, even if both 30's (dual RCD CU) are up to the limit in natural leakage... Unless this is just a play on words!!

Only RCDs rated upto 30mA are recognised as providing "additional protection" so surely Spin is correct?

And when that 30mA RCD device fails for one reason or another on a TT system?? The ADS isn't going to be doing anything for you is it!!!

Look, ...it doesn't matter what you call the S type upstream RCD, primary or additional protection it's better to have than not to have on a TT system, especially a UK TT system as it stands now!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who told you, that you can do the PME conversion on DNO equipment yourself?? The lazy so and so that came to look at your installation?? Be warned, ...Unless you have that permission written on official headed paper, signed by no less than the Area engineer responsible, (which i know you don't have) then you could well find yourself in some serious trouble in the future!!! The DNO's cannot delegate their responsibilities to others outside of their company, or their certified contractors under their employ.

I'm playing piggy-in-the-middle here. The customer wants to get the earthing arrangement sorted so he can get rid of the spike, but isn't getting any help from the DNO - they don't seem to regard converter the TT system as their responsibility. I've also sat down with DNO engineers - in the DNO's operations offices - and been told I CAN put the PME link in place, provided I re-seal the main fuse after, adding one of their stickers - which they have given me.

That may be burning bacon you can smell but, frankly, I'm up for that argument after getting the run around on this issue so many times in the past.

In your position Sparc I wouldn't touch the PME conversion without the written authorisation of the area engineer. This WILL come back and bite you on the backside.

Reply to Replacing VOELCB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock