Discuss Reporting an unqualified electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

andrew1919

Hi, i recently had a new bathroom installed. The guy who did the work made a complete mess of it and ended up costing me a lot of money. At the start of the job he told me i didnt need an electrician as i was not making any fundamental changes to the electrics. I have later found out this is not true as under part P any electrical work undertaken in a bathroom (special zone) would need to be certified by a qualified electrican. The work that the guy did was faulty and he nearly started a fire as the electric towel rail he installed overheated and melted the switch. I have since had an electrical report done and all the faults corrected (faults were found with the wiring to the elcetric shower and to the new spotlights as well as the towel rail).

What i want to know is can i report this guy to stop him from doing this to anyone else? i have called trading standards who said i should contact NEICS (cant remember the exact name) but when i did they told me they couldnt help as the workman wasnt registered with them.

Would really apprecitae some guidance on this if anyone could help me. Thanks in advance.

This is typical and the reason why so many cowboys are operating putting people like you in danger. If trading standards dont want to know the best suggestion I can give is write to your MP and ask him why no one is interested. Keep any replies you get and if you are still not satisfied pass all correspondence to the newspapers.

I have no doubt that you will have the full support of every professional electrician and keep us posted on the progress.

Hope that helps

Chris

Hi Andrew
This man should definitely be reported, try the building control office at your local council.
I had my niceic inspection yesterday and in discussion the inspector told me that the niceic had a place on their web site to report this sort of thing. I've not checked this but from your experience it seems that it is not true, I will try to find out.

Hi Andrew
This man should definitely be reported, try the building control office at your local council.
I had my niceic inspection yesterday and in discussion the inspector told me that the niceic had a place on their web site to report this sort of thing. I've not checked this but from your experience it seems that it is not true, I will try to find out.

Good idea but that keeps it in house and under the carpet its about time this was aired in public before we get more rip offs and more injuries.

Chris

Good idea but that keeps it in house and under the carpet its about time this was aired in public before we get more rip offs and more injuries.

Chris

Totally agree.
It's about time that there was a simple, national method of reporting non registered 'electricians'
I've had a very quick look round the niceic and esc web sites and also labc part p site and on all of them I can easily find pages promoting part p but nothing on how to report a non registered person.

If he is not a member of the NICEIC or any of the schemes then what can they do?

It is the LABC that need to know about it but will the property owner not be liable for not informing the LABC as the work was in a special location?

On a thread on here someone posted that an electrician had been posing as an NICEIC member which they were not and what did the NICEIC do? NOTHING

Totally agree.
It's about time that there was a simple, national method of reporting non registered 'electricians'
I've had a very quick look round the niceic and esc web sites and also labc part p site and on all of them I can easily find pages promoting part p but nothing on how to report a non registered person.

So you would report an non scheme registered qualified electrician !, this thread started about reporting an unqualified electrician

This AGAIN highlights the lack of knowledge of part p doesnt it ?
Also hello and welcome Andrew !

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also going to say report to building control AND to your local MP. Building control won't care, but your MP might do something. You may also want to write to your local press to see if they can do anything. I only wish that more members of the public were as eager as you are to report these cowboys... most people just accept that they've been ripped off and carry on with their lives.

Best of luck, no one knows, understands or cares and its even worse for registered sparks trying to do a decent job and make a living.

What are you going to report a Qualified Electrician for? The last time I checked it was not illegal not to be a member of a private club.

I'm not sure what being qualified has to do with it Risteard.

If I was called to look at an installation which was dangerous and carried out by a non registered electrician then I would be happy to report him qualified or not.(although as previously mentioned I'm not sure who too)

Are you saying that a non qualified person should be reported but not someone qualified?

If he's doing work in special location and not notifying building control or whoever ain't he breaking the rules?

I didn't say that he/she shouldn't notify Building Control if (and only if) in England or Wales. I was disputing that he/she must be a member of a club.

Also he/she is not breaking the law - the homeowner is.

Are you saying that a non qualified person should be reported but not someone qualified?

No. I was suggesting that you could not report a Qualified Electrician for not being a member of a club because they are not obliged to be.

No. I was suggesting that you could not report a Qualified Electrician for not being a member of a club because they are not obliged to be.

Your right Risteard, I was replying to the op re dangerous work and non registered persons or not notifying.
Of course there is no law at all that says that electricians have to join a scheme.

Well said Risteard

As long as building control has been informed (either directly of through a scheme), and the work is done to the correct standard then there is no reason to report anyone ~ the OP's issue is that the work wasn't done professionally (or in safe manner by the sounds of it) the fact that it wasn't disclosed to Building control just compounds the issue.

Reply to Reporting an unqualified electrician in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock