Discuss Resistance Level 2 - HELP NEEDED!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

james1985

hey,

I am currently completing City & Guilds level 2 and stumbled across the below questions and scratching my head...

1. Electric Fire element has a length of 10m, a cross section area of 0.5mm2 and resistance of 50 ohms - calculate resistivity of material used.

Thanks

R = U x L (SorryI don't know how to use the correct symbol for resistivity)
......... A
Resistance is equal to resistivity x length divided by the area

Any material has a natural resistance.over longer distances the resistance gets higher
If the area is increased,the resistance gets lower,distance and area are proportional

From the information given and the values you can transpose the formulae to work out the resistivity

hey,

I am currently completing City & Guilds level 2 and stumbled across the below questions and scratching my head...

1. Electric Fire element has a length of 10m, a cross section area of 0.5mm2 and resistance of 50 ohms - calculate resistivity of material used.

Thanks
Have you not been taught how to calculate the resistivity of a material, it's quite a simple formula

R = U x L (SorryI don't know how to use the correct symbol for resistivity)
......... A
Resistance is equal to resistivity x length divided by the area

Any material has a natural resistance.over longer distances the resistance gets higher
If the area is increased,the resistance gets lower,distance and area are proportional

From the information given and the values you can transpose the formulae to work out the resistivity
Rho

Des, from using that formula - I could not locate the material used. Not matched the resistance level provided...

This is taking me back decades
If I were given the information I would look up what material most heating elements are made from (mostly nichrome) then find out its value of resistivity and go from there

Not going to tell you the answer James, google how to calculate the resistivity of a material? the answer is there.

No Rho= LxA/resistance, watch out for the csa part, you will need to find the sq root of 0.5

Reply to Resistance Level 2 - HELP NEEDED!! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net