Discuss Retraining advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

OnTheRopes

Hi
First post here so hope this is in the right place

Back in the seventies and eighties I was a jobbing Spark on mainly industrial installation work.
I did a full apprenticeship and hold a C&G Electricians Cert and the college Quals I did at the time. I havent worked as a spark for 20 years then by accident I kind of fell back into it. I have a CompEx cert which I have been using more recently.

I have ended up working as a Spark again in CompEx inspections and some industrial lighting installations. However although I can work safely I have forgotten so much it could be embarrassing so I am looking for the best way to get up to speed on the theory.
I am thinking of taking an online 17th ed and then exam, but will that alone be enough, is there more I can do?

Best suggestions appreciated

Doing the 17th edition wont really bring you back up to speed with theory and practical. This will just update you with current regulations.

There's books that will bring the thoery back to you, practical will come back as you do it I suspose, just know your limits...

Hi
First post here so hope this is in the right place

Back in the seventies and eighties I was a jobbing Spark on mainly industrial installation work.
I did a full apprenticeship and hold a C&G Electricians Cert and the college Quals I did at the time. I havent worked as a spark for 20 years then by accident I kind of fell back into it. I have a CompEx cert which I have been using more recently.

I have ended up working as a Spark again in CompEx inspections and some industrial lighting installations. However although I can work safely I have forgotten so much it could be embarrassing so I am looking for the best way to get up to speed on the theory.
I am thinking of taking an online 17th ed and then exam, but will that alone be enough, is there more I can do?

Best suggestions appreciated

Hey up mate,

Its a bit like riding a bike, you never forget, you just get a bit out of practice, and as things change, you lose touch a bit.
I wouldn't be too concerned with remembering the theory, electric is still the same as it was 20 years ago, nothing has changed, V over I x R etc.

You have done your apprenticeship, so my advice would be to enrol on a 4 day 17th edition course, don't bother with a distance learning course, you will benefit from the input from other course delegates, and your tutor.

There has been some very significant changes to the 17th update, and my guess is that it was 15th or 16th last time you worked as a spark.

The 17th will bring you into the new age, that and your apprenticeship and past experience, would in my opinion suffice for now, but you may want to consider the 2394/2395 Insp and test courses once you are back up to speed.

Cheers...............Howard

Fast&Rough - At 54 cant see me going back to college to be honest and studying with a load of teenagers.

Brightspark - I do know my limits - fortunately so i wll always be safe, I work in rope access so I tend to supervise sparkies on the ropes, but it is advantageous if I can help out when there is no rope work. I always tell the other sparks where I stand so there is no BS and I feel OK to ask if in doubt. Its mainly Ex Inspection work which I am OK with and the odd installation work, but I would like to improve, so books I guess but what about the online or DVD courses?

I wouldn't recommend online courses ,and the 17th was a mixed group when I sat it so you'll be fine :)
Seeing as my replies are having to go through a mod they may be out of sequence.
F&R - sorry I thought you meant a full time course, no worries with 17th I can handle a few days even with teens

Hi Ontheropes,

Sorry about the delay with your last post, it ended up in the moderation queue because of the link in it. I've approved your post as it seems like a genuine inquiry as opposed to an advert.... hopefully this is the case.

Hi Ontheropes,

Sorry about the delay with your last post, it ended up in the moderation queue because of the link in it. I've approved your post as it seems like a genuine inquiry as opposed to an advert.... hopefully this is the case.

Hi Marvo

Wasn't sure what was going on for a few minutes there, certainly not advertising, but I was looking at the course on that link and wondered if it was any good, feel free to remove if you wish

Reply to Retraining advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock