Discuss Retraining at 40 in Aberdeen in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
After losing my job offshore, I am thinking of retraining as a sparky. I already have an HNC in Electrical Engineering and a Modern apprenticeship in maintenance.

I was hoping for some advice.

1> Looking for options to do the NVQ 2365 - is there a provider closer than Glasgow?

2> Is it likely that at 40 I would be taken on as an electrician, even after getting the 2365 L2/L3 and 18th Edition?

After losing my job offshore, I am thinking of retraining as a sparky. I already have an HNC in Electrical Engineering and a Modern apprenticeship in maintenance.

1> Looking for options to do the NVQ 2365 - is there a provider closer than Glasgow?

2> Is it likely that at 40 I would be taken on as an electrician, even after getting the 2365 L2/L3 and 18th Edition?
Hi Gavin As far as i am aware to get these qualifications involves travelling south of the border and theres Nothing that would suit self funded in Scotland. The Sjib / sectt adult apprenticeship scheme is a possibility but is difficult to get on. The other possibly is the Sjib CEC scheme again ive heard its hard to get on.

It Might be possible to try for the English Jib Mature NVQ 2346 ,which NVQ might be possible by Video Call in Aberdeen i think along with that Nvq you,d probably need the 18th regs & 2391 qualifications.Both the regs & testing courses Are available in Scotland no doubt locally in Aberdeen. This might be the quickest option and my understanding is that the sjib has issued cards to people holding these qualifications.

drop me a pm if you feel like a further chat.

Good Luck

Hi I have the same qualifications as you and also in Scotland (maintenance electricain and HNC electrical engineering). I would like to gain a SJIB card in electrical installation to work in Scotland. Did you go any further with your search or take a course in installation?

You can do the 2365home study option with Ableskills. i am doing it right now for L2 its 4 weeks practicals L3 its 3 weeks practicals.

I reached out to sjib regarding what they would accept for gold card installation and if they would accept 2357 and they said to me that they won't accept anything other than a completed apprenticeship. This is the quoted text below

Sjib grading:
No you actually have to enrole to become a Apprentice or Adult Trainee. There is also a CEC scheme which looks at all you training and qualifications.

If you have a look at the SECTT website, all the information you need is there to apply.

Reply to Retraining at 40 in Aberdeen in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net