Discuss retraining at 41 - too late? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

gt67

OK, I am 41 and thinking of retraining. I have worked for BT for 20 years and have a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering. I am looking at doing a 2 year C&G 2330 evening college course.

When I joined BT I thought it was a job for life but now sick of the management attitude, outsourcing of the work overseas and the way the firm is heading.

Realistically, have I left it too late?

No get it done.
It's never to late, but at 41 you'll have a job getting on a firm as they usually like young'uns. So I'd be setting up on my own.

I am looking to become self employed doing mainly residential work.

I've had 20 years of working in offices and peoples houses running cables, although telephone/data cables are completely different from electrical cables, there are some similarities. I do know a few electricians who have said they will help me out with some work to start with until I build up my own customer base and reputation.

Hopefully there will be another voluntary redundancy scheme next year which I will apply. I was looking into the short courses but the general impression I get from reading these forums is that it is better to do the C&G 2330 L2 and L3. The only problem is that will take 3 years part time and with a mortgage etc I need to be earning some proper money asap so I will also look at the shorter courses, like the route davetheglitz went down.

I do know that this will not be easy and am prepared for the hard work required to become a good sparky. I am lucky in the respect that I already have a load of tools, cordless drills and a van so the start up costs will be a bit cheaper.

I live in Essex so, once I have finished installing my bathroom and finished decorating the rest of my house, I am willing to offer my services for free as an electricians mate so if anybody is in the area and wants a hand please let me know.

Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement,

Graham

Best of luck GT.

I too work for BT (22yrs as of 4th July), and know exactly where you are coming from. Could have got mi' lad on as an apprentice but steered him towards being a Sparky as this was my work before joining BT.

Should be time-served by Xmas this year, just a few more exams to go and that damned portfolio to fill in (you'll know what I mean if you ever do the 2330 L3 course) :)

Takes some bottle mate, but if you think the time's right then you already know what to do. The very best of luck again.

PS .......... if you've got a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering, you'll breeze the exams. I got myself an ONC in the very same a few years back and the Q's were far more in depth.

Its the 'hands-on',safety,correct methods etc etc that will be your learning curve, but with your background, it wont be a steep curve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to retraining at 41 - too late? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock