Discuss Retrofitting Solar Edge. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gary K

-
DIY
Reaction score
Had some guy rang me today from what sounded like a call centre, trying to talk me into an appointment to have my system assessed regarding how it is wired and suggesting that it would be in my best interests to have Solar edge optimisers and an inverter fitted and suggested that it would then make a 20-25% increase in output.
I suggested to him, that amount of improvement in output is optimistic at best and that I would check out the web site and may get back to him if interested,
but at a cost of £2000-4000, I suspect I won't.

anyone got any views for or against?

only true if you have severe shading issues and a rubbish inverter to start with, otherwise performance improvements are more likely to be in the range of 2-5% due to variations in panel output and possible efficiency improvement of the inverter.

I've ripped this claim to bits from both solar edge and enphase, and their reps have all had to accept that yes they had cooked the books by doing comparisons with the worst performing old style inverters rather than current generation TL dual tracking inverters with full scan shading functions (eg optitrac global peak on SMA)

Had some guy rang me today from what sounded like a call centre, trying to talk me into an appointment to have my system assessed regarding how it is wired and suggesting that it would be in my best interests to have Solar edge optimisers and an inverter fitted and suggested that it would then make a 20-25% increase in output.
I suggested to him, that amount of improvement in output is optimistic at best and that I would check out the web site and may get back to him if interested,
but at a cost of £2000-4000, I suspect I won't.

anyone got any views for or against?

Absolutely ludicrous.

It might be worth looking into Solar Edge if:

a) your current inverter has failed and is out of warranty
and
b) a whacking great skyscraper has been built next to your house and is now blocking the sun

Otherwise, forget it - it won't pay for itself during your lifetime.

There are some desperate people out there. Anything from a call centre has to be suspect.

Solaredge is worth while on a new install in the right circumstances. Replacing an existing inverter before it breaks will never pay for itself.

It works very well with an East-West set up. The standard warranty is also good.

As with all things, you pay your money and make your choice, one reason I have SolarEdge my own home (5.44kW east, south, & west set up).

I've had an email recently
Yes I am interested in knowing what the cost would be to upgrade my current series string solar system. I have been told a many great things about the Solaredge system and it's benefits. I have a 4kW 16 panel system on a south facing bungalow at 30 degrees with no shading. I have been told that I could gain an additional 20% in solar harvesting? I would be interested in your opinion. Many thanks

Much as I suspected then.
The agent reckons they have 2x 10Kw systems all identical except one has the Solar edge gear, and the other a string inverter and the S/Edge powered is 20+% up but there is no mention of this on their web site.
He mentioned that during the original FITS rush, there were only 4 Solar edge agents in the UK so most systems could not have them fitted due to lack of certified fitters. He also started the scare tactics suggesting that when a panel fails, there is huge expense proving to the manufactures that it is their panel that has failed before they will honour guarantee but with the monitoring as standard with their system, providing this proof was easy.
Also overstated was the price to replace my inverter when it fails every few years - suggested £1500 although a quick check online gives me a price of £699 for a SB3600TL-21 , hope fitting would not be £800!
Their system apparently has a 20 year warranty on inverter and 25 years on the optimisers, although the website suggests that 12 years is standard and the additional 8 years is extra.

Still i'm sure there are a few mugs around.

Thanks for the replies anyway.
[h=3][/h]

Reply to Retrofitting Solar Edge. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net