Discuss Retrospective Application of the 17th Edition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Shakey

Hi gents, so someone has finally asked it - well i have to fit rcd's/RCBO's to existing circuits when the 17th kicks in???

Well here is my view:

There is one ENORMOUS change in the 17th which has been largely overlooked

The Schedule of Inspections in the model forms appendix has been ammeneded to include the new requirements, so all the things we discuss (cables buried 50mm deep/earthed metallic protection/ 30mA RCD etc) are now check boxes on the new form

Now look at the bottom of the form

They tell you, you can tick to say inspected and satisafactory, or X to say unsatisfactory (plus the usual N/A and LIM)

Now look at the little comment next to the X : it says

APPLICABLE TO PERIODIC INSPECTIONS ONLY:eek::eek:

think about it

yes that's exactly what it means

it means you CANT inspect something when doing an EIC and say it is unsatisfactory!!!!!

So lets say you get asked to put a new shower circuit in. you would have to RCD it. but your inspections would by default include any wiring you come accross as you ar e pulling through, and would include the CU you start at, and the bathroom circuits you finish at. And everything along the way would have to be ticked to say 'satisfactory'. Because any cable you see that is NOT 50mm deep on an RCD, unless its got earthed metallic protection would be an X

And you cant X something unless its a PIR!!!

Got a feeling this could blow up a bit towards the end of the year

what do you guys reckon????:rolleyes:

Reply to Retrospective Application of the 17th Edition in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net