Discuss Reverse camera trigger is triggering when braking! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I recently fitted a reverse camera to my van. All working perfectly for a couple of months now.

Recently, the monitor has been turning on for a fraction of a second when braking. It usually only happens in the first few minutes of driving after it's been sat an hour or more. The trigger wire for the monitor to turn on is connected to the reverse light at the rear cluster.

Seems like for some reason when I brake the voltage on the reverse light circuit is rising slightly. Enough to sometimes trigger the monitor to turn on for a split second.

I'm no auto electrician, but it reminds me of the times I've come across LED lighting having a faint glow - usually when 2 way switches. Seems like I need some sort of 'snubber' to stop this happening! Anyone a bit more clued up with auto electrics have any ideas?

I recently fitted a reverse camera to my van. All working perfectly for a couple of months now.

Recently, the monitor has been turning on for a fraction of a second when braking. It usually only happens in the first few minutes of driving after it's been sat an hour or more. The trigger wire for the monitor to turn on is connected to the reverse light at the rear cluster.

Seems like for some reason when I brake the voltage on the reverse light circuit is rising slightly. Enough to sometimes trigger the monitor to turn on for a split second.

I'm no auto electrician, but it reminds me of the times I've come across LED lighting having a faint glow - usually when 2 way switches. Seems like I need some sort of 'snubber' to stop this happening! Anyone a bit more clued up with auto electrics have any ideas?

Isn't it supposed to connect in the gearbox control in the cab? In so much that putting vehicle into reverse closes a push switch turning on the camera?

What's the make model of van and reversing camera?

if vehicle is on canbus, sometimes a relay has to be fitted so that the reverse 12V off the reverse light triggers relay which then gives the camera 12V via N/O contacts.

Worth considering if it's a poor earth at the cluster, especially if it previously worked fine. Clean all bulb holders and multiway connections and maybe a dash of WD40.
quite possible. corrosion is your enemy. that's why councils salt the roads to get older cars scrapped.

DPG has mentioned a possibly loose return on the cluster. Also what type of van? LED lights? CANBUS system?

Worth considering if it's a poor earth at the cluster, especially if it previously worked fine. Clean all bulb holders and multiway connections and maybe a dash of WD40.

I had thought this. I took the cluster apart earlier and the pins/connector looked alright but possibly could be better. Since I plugged it back in, it hasn't done it. However that was only a couple of short journeys!

It seems to have started with the very wet weather recently too!

Whats the best method to clean the connections and multi=plugs up with? I always find them tricky to really get into. I had a similar problem on my last van which I caught too late and had to bodge through the last few months of it's life.

Van is a Toyota Proace (Peugeot Expert in disguise) 66 plate.

Thought I'd update this since to say it hasn't done it since I originally unplugged then plugged back in the rear cluster.

Planning to take it apart and get some contact cleaner in there tomorrow.

Reply to Reverse camera trigger is triggering when braking! in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net