Discuss Reverse lights on constantly in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, could anyone give me a few pointers please? I've got a problem with my wife's 2005 Vauxhall Astra Estate 1.7cdti in the way of the reverse lights are on constantly. I thought it was the reverse switch on the gearbox stuck so I bought a new switch, fitted it and it's still the same. Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Do the other lights in the clusters work as they should. Sometimes bad earths at rear lights can cause strange things, particularly if you have side lights on, brake and indicators at the same time. Try it with the gearbox switch disconnected to see what happens.

Hi KEV 1 N, All other lights work as they should. I will add that the battery was disconnected and removed as well as the battery tray last week for access as the starter motor needed replacing. When everything was put back in place it was after this that the problem was noticed. I don't know if the problem with the reversing lights was present before that or just since the work was carried out. Thanks for the quick reply by the way oh and the reverse lights are on whether lights are turned on or off

Have a bit fiddle with the switch, check and trace the route of the wiring for damage other than that you might have to take it to an auto electrician to have a look at it.

Failing a nipped wire after the starter job as Kev has said , I ask everyone this lol; has it had a towbar fitted, has anyone been adding anything to it , and does it go off with ignition off. Has it had a bump?

Although it's done for safety, disconnecting the battery on an older car can play havoc with the electrics. I had a 406 that went in for a new timing belt, battery disconnected, come back with non functioning remote central locking!

Hi ruston, I kind of ruled out a nipped wire as the wiring g for the reverse switch goes over the top and the wiring for the starter was underneath but it's always worth another check, I'll do it in the next couple of days if the weather decides to fair up a bit. No electrical additions or changes, no tow bar fitted and yes they turn off with the ignition. Kev, yeah I know what you mean about older cars and disconnecting the battery ha ha, I'll have a try with the switch wiring disconnected and see if that makes a difference. I have a feeling something is shorting across somewhere and completing the circuit to make the reverse lights come on. Thanks for your help guys and if you can think of any more possibilities I shall accept them with open arms as this is starting to well and truly bend my melon thanks again guys :)

Ha ha ha yeah Kev I took the bulbs out a couple of days ago because the wife was complaining that people were honking at her, shouting and telling her that the reverse lights were on so did it to stop any confusion and stop the wife getting grief

Probably best asking on a Vauxhall forum:)

Have you replaced any bulbs recently? if you fit the wrong type, this can sometimes mess the signals up, i.e, if you fit a stop & tail bulb and you only needed a stop bulb, this could make your indicators light up when braking etc. The same thing could have happened to make your reverse lights cone on?

Just a thought.

Jay

Ok, so the switch is like a light switch in your house.
Live in and when reverse is selected and the switch is operated, live out to the reverse lamps.
First I would disconnect the wires to the switch and check the reverse lamps are off.
Then I would remove the switch, connect the wires and check the lamps come on when the switch is operated manually.
If the lamps are lit continuously then the switch is likely to be faulty.
If they illuminate only when the switch is operated then there is something wrong with the reverse selector.

Ok thanks spinlondon. It has a brand new switch that has been installed so I don't think it's the switch. Saying that it's a possibility that I could have been given one from a faulty batch I suppose :)

If the wires are disconnected from the switch do they go out?
I was thinking along the lines of @spinlondon too.
Disconnect the switch wires and test at the lamp for a live . If you have a live you have an extraneous feed . Ie a chaffed live feeding the reverse lights.

Cheers ruston I'll be checking it when I get the chance as the car is in constant use so it may be a outlets of days or even the weekend before I get the chance to do anything :)

Reply to Reverse lights on constantly in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock