Discuss Reverse polarity at socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had some line/neutral reverse polarity today at a job instead of tripping RCD/MCB it’s just melted socket outlet how come RCD/MCB didn’t trip? RCD tested fine??
Did you check the plug? did you check the tightness of the connections in the socket outlet?, did the cables appear burnt?, reversed polarity does not normally cause any trips, any IR testing done????? lots of question I know.

20190910_101316.jpg
20190910_101316.jpg This was like this for 5 years and no problems......only showed up when I was doing a quick check on ring using a plug in tester

Is that question aimed at me......if so yes the socket was being used as normal...in fact it had an extension lead plugged in with 5 bits of equipment being used

I think with reverse polarity the main problem is with switching - the switch cuts out the live which in this case is the neutral so any devices plugged in would still in effect, live when the socket is switched off (potentially very dangerous)

Couple of years ago was testing a new school block, five classes with dado power. Four were fine but one class every socket reversed.

I think with reverse polarity the main problem is with switching - the switch cuts out the live which in this case is the neutral so any devices plugged in would still in effect, live when the socket is switched off (potentially very dangerous)
With socket-outlets the major issue is that the fuse in the plugtop (there's a word to annoy some!) will be in the neutral conductor rather than the line/phase conductor.

Reverse polarity in a socket-outlet should be regarded as a serious breach of the Wiring Regulations.

Reply to Reverse polarity at socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net