Discuss Reverse polarity on kitchen socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

electric-tec

Hi Guys

Looking to see if anybody can shed a wee bit of light, got a phone call earlier tongiht from a customer stating he was getting a shock from the socket and the sink.

went over to have a look he advised he replaced all sockets with stainless steel ones and one kept shocking him so here we go.

checked socket and sink with voltstick nothing showing

went round sockets with fluke 1651

socket 1 244 v 50hz showing 24v when not switched on Zs 0.36

socket 2 126v 50hz showing 0v when not switched on error 4 for Zs

socket 3 244v 50hz indicating reverse polarity L - N showing 24v when not switched on error 4 for Zs

isolated at board removed all sockets found socket 1 looks like spured only 1 t&e

socket 2 2 sets t&e with terminal block at rear of back box with another 2 pairs t&e

socket 3 only 1 set t&e possibly spured again

customer advised after sockets changed from plastic to metal everything he used on socket 3 was shocking him and anything on the worktop was live

my suspect feeling is that the pair of t&e tails at the rear of the socket are the spurs feeding the 2 sockets either that or theres a joint somewhere

obviously it was late all ive done meantime until i can further investigate is removed socket / spur 3 terminal blocked it and fitted a blanking plate

i will go back tommoz and further investigate , only 1 ring main for whole house old style wylex board with rewireable plastic carriers

any info or suggestions would be greatly listened to and taken on board

You're spouting test results as though they don't mean anything to you. Why would a socket show 24V on an MFT when not switched on? What about 126V - what does that indicate? And what's an error 4? There's some telling results there, BUT not enough to enable someone to give a sensible answer remotely over a forum. Enough, however, to convince anyone that you need to lock it off until you can do continuity tests to trace it out properly.

PS - would reverse polarity give people shocks?

As above why haven't you done the dead tests first, if someone is receiving shocks this install could be as dangerous to you as it is them, im kind of dumb founded you have proceeded as you did, dread to ask if you have done your testing module and if so why haven't you applied it?

GN3, OSG gives good descriptions of how to test a RFC, that is if you have them!!

Reply to Reverse polarity on kitchen socket in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net