Discuss Reversed polarity - who to blame? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
Been on a job in Warmley this afternoon, customer told by Knowhow/curry's that she has reversed polarity so couldnt connect washing machine. worryingly all faceplates were metal so not ideal!
Go out and 230 between neutral and earth,nothing between line and earth. called western power who sent somebody out, result they took out cables between cutout outgoing ways and meter swapped them over to give the house correct polarity.
They say not the dno's fault as there supply is fine, but the cables from cutout to meter and then on to CU all followed through as correct polarity the problem appeared to me to be pre cut out. didnt test it from where i was stood.
Is it okay for them to simply swap the cables without checking the actual supply? walked in put a socket tester in and said everything is okay now and off they went.
Meter changed 2012 card says polarity okay, nothing been touched since!
consumer unit changed and rewired early 2006 by Mr electric franchise who decide to leave the tails hanging out the bottom on a 6+ meter run without a switched fuse. also put all sockets on one mcb due to tripping apparently.
all in the level of workmanship seems to be below what i would be happy with.
I have tightened the tails and advised them the tails need some attention,suggested to put a switched fuse in and extend the tails so they can be clipped and not hang down with stuff pushing against them and almost pulling them out. also should they be replaced in full?
Without the byb to hand as it is in van,so cant check regs. these tails run under the bathroom floor out to the meter and then inside, through out the run they have what appears just single layer of insulation and no 2nd sheath... shouldn't they be protected from mechanical damage somehow?

20180806_140611.jpg

20180806_140550.jpg

20180806_143602.jpg

What worries is where the fault is/was. if before cut-out and they have reversed the tails post cut-out, then is the Neutral DNO fused now, instead of the Line?

and those tails are a shitty mess.

I was in process of leaving as the dno arrived(only took them 30 mins from when I called- must have been a quiet day) so didn't stick around to long as I had another job to get to on way home.
Not 100% confident its right in all honesty. Much like you @telectrix - if they have just swapped cables around then they haven't really resolved the fault if it was pre cut out.
I identified the reversed polarity, called the DNO they came out and have said its sorted and is safe. I have covered my arse and ultimately the DNO have given it a clean bill of health.
Rather luckily for the customer, she changed a light fitting upstairs last week before aware of the fault, nice shiny metal one... flicked the mcb off and whole time good chance that the neutral was still live when fitting it!

Seems to be a whole list of things wrong there, that have happened over the course of time. Even if someone was hurt because of criminal incompetence now, I suspect H&S would no doubt struggle to locate the offenders.

I know we often criticise Certsure, and Electrical Safety First are not 'directly' in that camp, but ESF have been banging about joe public using suitably qualified competent electricians for ages. This Part P thing again.

Didn't it cross your mind that if they swapped things about to see if the head neutral is fused, first thing that crossed my mind as with Tel in #2.

So, with pme the conductor that the earth would be linked to in the head would be live making the earth live and all metalwork bonded to it would also be live - taps, radiators, boiler etc, any metal light fittings, cooker case etc. In this scenario anything connected to a actual earth would create a fault current and operate an upstream device (300A fuse)

something smells here. reversed polarity is generally the fault of meter fitter. are DNO covering someone's arse here?

something smells here. reversed polarity is generally the fault of meter fitter. are DNO covering someone's arse here?
not a smart meter in sight thankfully, last meter according to a little card in the meter box was in 2012. incidentally ticked and signed saying polarity correct. so potentially been like this since then!! as she has been in the house 6 years and no work been done since.
So, with pme the conductor that the earth would be linked to in the head would be live making the earth live and all metalwork bonded to it would also be live - taps, radiators, boiler etc, any metal light fittings, cooker case etc. In this scenario anything connected to a actual earth would create a fault current and operate an upstream device (300A fuse)
Thats what made me think.. bloody heck.. as all the switches and sockets are metal face plates, bonding in place, i went round with the wonder lead doing a quick continuity check at sockets and switch fronts and all had continuity back to the CU so potentially could have been quite bad in event of a fault

Seems to be a whole list of things wrong there, that have happened over the course of time. Even if someone was hurt because of criminal incompetence now, I suspect H&S would no doubt struggle to locate the offenders.

I know we often criticise Certsure, and Electrical Safety First are not 'directly' in that camp, but ESF have been banging about joe public using suitably qualified competent electricians for ages. This Part P thing again.
That's where Part P and suitably qualified competent electricians don't compute.

I was in process of leaving as the dno arrived(only took them 30 mins from when I called- must have been a quiet day) so didn't stick around to long as I had another job to get to on way home.
Not 100% confident its right in all honesty. Much like you @telectrix - if they have just swapped cables around then they haven't really resolved the fault if it was pre cut out.
I identified the reversed polarity, called the DNO they came out and have said its sorted and is safe. I have covered my arse and ultimately the DNO have given it a clean bill of health.
Rather luckily for the customer, she changed a light fitting upstairs last week before aware of the fault, nice shiny metal one... flicked the mcb off and whole time good chance that the neutral was still live when fitting it!
The clean bill of health the DNO gave the installation, goes as far as their equipment, in all honesty Gavin and I don't mean to be critical, it was your responsibility to check post DNO s visit, sorry but that's just as I feel, the excuse of another job to go to is a poor excuse, ask yourself would the DNO have checked polarity at the final circuits? no I don't think sold have stayed until everything was checked.

The clean bill of health the DNO gave the installation, goes as far as their equipment, in all honesty Gavin and I don't mean to be critical, as you obviously care about your customers, it was your responsibility to check post DNO s visit, sorry but that's just as I feel, the excuse of another job to go to is a poor excuse, ask yourself would the DNO have checked polarity at the final circuits? no I don't think so I would have stayed until everything was checked. If it was my customer I would spend an hour checking, after the DNO had FOed.

Last edited:
The clean bill of health the DNO gave the installation, goes as far as their equipment, in all honesty Gavin and I don't mean to be critical, as you obviously care about your customers, it was your responsibility to check post DNO s visit, sorry but that's just as I feel, the excuse of another job to go to is a poor excuse, ask yourself would the DNO have checked polarity at the final circuits? no I don't think so I would have stayed until everything was checked. If it was my customer I would spend an hour checking, after the DNO had FOed.
fair comment @Pete999 , the DNO used a plug in tester on the sockets and cooker socket outlet both now showed correct polarity. Customer had phoned me to tell me what they said and did. These being the only circuits with socket outlets. I had satisfied myself the issue was before the customers wiring and as such limited to what i could do to start checking the cut out etc...
I had already checked the circuits inside for polarity through dead testing and established that the polarity issue was not internal. so handed over to the DNO once I was certain the polarity testing at consumer unit tails showed that the incoming supply was responsible be it either the dno supply or mixed up tails somewhere.

Reply to Reversed polarity - who to blame? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net