Discuss Rewirable fuses and the old wylex boards in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

baldsparkies

You know lads,
I am constantly coming across these boards in what can only be described has truly scary conditions.
The amount of thermal heat damage due to poor contact surfaces and under rated main switches, or 40 amp plug ins being used on those old push fit contacts is becoming a big cause for concern.
Electrical appliances and there loadings I.M.H.O. leave no place in the modern consumer world for these past there shalf life C/Us.
And yet the regs and scheme providers proudly tell us, there is nothing wrong with them (On paper)
I feel its time to give these old boys the same treatment as VIR's when you come across them.
They are quick enough to hoist the good old PIR. And yet tell us these old boards are still up to the task.
That fishy smell in the understairs cupboard is not good next to that box of last years fireworks old boy.

same with everything, mate. if you overload it it will break. those old rewireable boards are OK as long as they are kept within their design limitations. 2 x 10kW showers and a 15kW cooker ain't .

Even so, I always recommend replacing them. But I do say its only a recommendation, unless loadings dictate otherwise in which case the damage caused would make it a no brainer.
Technicaly they are as you say OK. But is OK really good enough.
I only know if a rewirable board was fitted in my home it would end up in the skip. And the same for anyone I care about. So with that frame of mind, I always feel happier to see a modern MCB/RCD protected board in Situ. When initialy checking over an install for a PIR/EICR. if I see a dual RCD board, I know things are usually off to a good start. Its not the end all be all but for sure it helps.
I know its only an opinion, but I also know that a lot of sparks feel the same way.
Having seen an MCB pop out, compared to the flash over caused by the PFC generated in a 30 amp rewirable, regardless of how the calcs add up on paper.
I vote MCB/RCD or RCBO every time.

i'm not disagreeing with you, baldsparkies, i also recommend replacement. generally i find extra loading has been installed in the board resulting in maybe 3 or 4 cables in 1 fuse. the worst thing about them though is the ease of numpties to fit the wrong fuse wire or worse.

I just feel if you can justify changing out VIRs. Its high time the Wylex boards got the same treatment.
I don't think many of us would not agree on the fact that most have probably past there servicable life.
Or are not really up to the task of supplying the modern day consumers demands, load wise.
Oh well, lets see what ammendment 2 brings. Probably bring back PIR's by then lol.
Hang on a minute, talking about passing servicable life I was born in 1953 !! maybe I should keep my gob shut lol.

What if after inspection & testing you found some VIR that was still fully intact and not damaged in any way? I have seen it. Usually runs in lofts, etc but it's usually knackered at the ends in lights, etc. Just a thought. I did think you were still able, as inspector, to pass it if it's still functioning and in good demeanor.

Wylex rewireable CU's are still being produced and sold in most of the configurations they have always been. These CU's have been around now in one form or another for around 60 years now, and was at the time head and shoulders above anything else that was available at the time.
I would go as far as saying that these Wylex CU's, account for around 95+% of all the old domestic rewireable fuse boards that an electrician will come across in his working life.

Yes, in these modern day's they really should be replaced for the closer protection MCB's and RCBO's can give to an installation, but they are certainly not dangerous!! They are probably better built than the modern CU's of today!! lol!!

No theyre not Dangerous, if used as intended & not overloaded. A lot of people aroung here still have them & they're still working fine. Problems start to appear when idiots try to wire Big showers or Range cookers off of them, things that were never expected when most of these boards were made. But the same can be said of todays CU, you overload it & something's going to give.

No theyre not Dangerous, if used as intended & not overloaded. A lot of people aroung here still have them & they're still working fine. Problems start to appear when idiots try to wire Big showers or Range cookers off of them, things that were never expected when most of these boards were made. But the same can be said of todays CU, you overload it & something's going to give.

Precisely, these days most of my time is spent on periodic inspections and in all honesty, I see far more 'modern' consumer units with heat damage from overload and poor connections than I do the old Wylex.

I still like the double terminal screw on the line and neutral ways, almost a high integrity connection.

But like Telectrix mentioned, the old BS3036 isn't idiot-proof enough, "any old fuse wire will do, if it still blows, double it up" seems to be the common solution, especially in rented properties.

Unfortunately, nothing is Idiot proof. I got called out to a house some time back, apparently no power with smell of Burning & they're usual "Electrician" was on holiday. (Now where have I heard that before). Anyway get to house & sure enough No power & a strange smell, customer says they'd had the problem about a week before & called the "Electrician" who'd come out & fixed it for them.
So I open up the CU to see whats going on, only to find that the Electricians fix for a Duff RCD had been to Bypass it with 2 Lengths of 2.5 which had finally given up the Ghost. So no not even Modern CU's are idiot proof, it just depends on the lidiots level of Stupidity.

The old Wylex boards were made for a time when the circuits were minimum with few loads and are now probably past their sell by date.
However, I've seen some that are in pristine condition with shiny brass contacts and all their secondary protective caps in place and there are others, like a tramps underpants, well and truly overloaded.
Where the former is in place I suggest no replacement and where the latter is concerned I advise the client that it is 'pants' which need changing...
Then its up to the client.

Sorry Lads, I'm not convinced enough to give one a place in my home.
Granted there are some in very good condition, but I sleep better at night knowing my homes protected by a modern board with mcb's Rcd,s and RCBO combination.
And for that reason, alone I would recommend replacement.
I would never say a wylex rewirable board in good condition is dangerous.
But I would say the modern configuration provides far better protection, is less likely to be made unsafe by Mr DIY sticking any old bit of wire in there.
And anything thats BANGS and flashes like an open fuse aint good.
I have seen dead line to earth shorts on a ring circuit melt and blow out the cpc. And thats with correctly gauged fusewire in place.
So much for protection against thermal effects.
At the time, they were accepted as the best and cheapest thing available.
I use to be quite happy fitting them myself.
But that was a long time ago.
Sorry I just dont like em.

I dont like them either as most Ive come across are defective in some way, splayed screws, missing internal covers, cracked casings, incorrect fuse wire. Each one is rated on its condition, but I usually advise moving with the times and upgrading, esp in rented accommodation.

(copy from a previous post i made)

Dont know If people have looked closely at the Wylex type of rewirble fuse boards? Without the screw on cover over the fuses there is exposed live parts on show under and on top of the fuse carrier... about 2- 3mm
If the fuse cover is missing (not the carrier but the 4/6 way cover) and the fuses can be seen, this goes against reg 416.2.2
If the cover is there and can be undone without a tool then again I think this goes against the same reg..

look at the top of this board,,

Redirect Notice

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes but if some Muppet leaves a Blank off of a New type board you've also got access to live conductors & a lot more than 2-3mm. There must be an awful lot of CU's out there contravening the Regs then, if not needing to use a tool to undo the Fuse / Breaker covers is against the Regs.
What you need to remember is that these boards were'nt made to comply with the 17th edition Regs & as long as they are safe to use and fit for purpose then they don't have to comply.

If someone leave a blank out a board then they might as well leave a socket hanging off,, infact leaving a socket hanging off probley exposes less live parts.

most wylex boards I see have the cover missing and theres a live bit of brass looking at me. It may have been safe years ago, but tell that to the mother whos kid has just poked a bit of metal in the hole..
exposed conductive parts on show,, code 2 if out of reach,, but at low level under the stairs,, code 1,, kids just love playing under the stairs

Ask yourself what happens with the nice new board & same kid pokes his finger into it through the missing Blank ? Just because you don't like them does'nt make them unsafe. As for the mother who's kid just poked a bit of metal in the hole, has to be asked what sort of mother lets her kid play anywhere near any type of CU, if it's in a cupboard low down then any resposible parent would lock the cupboard to keep they're kids out.
Just out of interest: How many times have you heard of anyone getting a belt or being Electrocuted by touching 1 of these exposed live parts ? I've been in the Trade nearly 40 years & i've never heard of 1.

Reply to Rewirable fuses and the old wylex boards in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net