Discuss Rewire for elecsa registration in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mrmatt

I am currently doing a rewire for my elecsa registration and want everything to be good.

The client as always wants very little decorating to do after so I have pulled cables where I can down original chases.

I was going to leave the original 16mm deep light switch boxes in place due to decorating however

A) - there is no earth terminal present on the back box - I have read this isnt a problem as long as there is 1 fixed lug as flying leads are not compulsary. (white accessories)

B) The knock out hole in the 16mm box is oval and I am not 100% sure if I leave it without a gromet of some kind if this will be picked up on the iassessment

I have done various searches around the site but couldnt find anything about if this will have an impact on the pass/fail of the inspection

advise needed please

The lack of an earthing point in a 16mm swich back box should not cause you a problem. If your fitting plastic switches then terminate the loose CPC into a small 5amp Choc block. As it as one fixed lug you can quote that fly earths are only required in a box or enclosure if your using a conduit, truning sheath of cable etc as the CPC Regualtion 543.2.7

As for the grommit again there is nothing in the regulations that require you to fit a grommit into a back box. What the regs say is that during installation or maintenance you should avoid damging the sheath of the cable, regulation 522.8.1, and schemes like the NICEIC take that as the use of grommits, but as long as the cable sheath is ok, then your fine

you must connect the cpc to the switch box. if necessary, drill and fit self tapper. or use metal switch plates and earth the switch plate.if the oval holes are lipped with no sharp edges, no need for a grommet. make sure you sleeve your switched lives at switches and fittings, including strappers.

The oval knockouts are chamfered on some and flat on others. I guess as long as there are no sharp edges is the main thing may even get a needle file out.

you must connect the cpc to the switch box. if necessary, drill and fit self tapper.
Hadnt thought of that as an option Thanks

you must connect the cpc to the switch box. if necessary, drill and fit self tapper. or use metal switch plates and earth the switch plate.if the oval holes are lipped with no sharp edges, no need for a grommet. make sure you sleeve your switched lives at switches and fittings, including strappers.

No agree with TEL that is the best way to go. I was going down the road of lighting circuit, that did not have a CPC so therefore that is why you will find these 16mm switch boxes without earth lugs. But he is quite right if you have the CPC there the best course of action is to terminate it somehow to the box.

Hate to admit that Telectrix is right ;):D

You'd be alright on socket outlets without an earth flylead (fixed lug) though they DO like to see them, on lightswitches however you'd be knackered unless you could use lightswitches which are either completely class II OR have an earth lug on them connected to the machine-screw part of the accessory, which are hard to find in white accessories as there's rarely call for them.

I'd imagine you'll have a bit of trouble getting socket outlets into 16 mil knockout boxes.

If the knockouts have sharp edges, I'd grommet them up. You could even get some normal open grommets, snip them and make them fit around the hole, it's better than nothing and if you position the cut bit at the back, your assessor may not pick up on it!!

At the end of the day though, mate, if people say 'I want arewire but I don't want any holes or chases' you have to explain to them it ain't possible, and that if something is not as safe as it should be, it will have to come out.

EDIT: Tel said it better first time round. D'oh!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Rewire for elecsa registration in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock