Discuss Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I’ve got a rewire coming up. There is one of those kitchen window fans put in as seen in the picture, but I don’t really want to reconnect to this or even replace it and use this type of fan as there’s going to be cable exposed leading into it.
Is a kitchen fan really needed? Shall I suggest that they get a cooker hood and vent it out instead?

Attachments

• Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? 1E70A0BD-F85B-42C7-90A7-D7BAFAEC7801 - EletriciansForums.net
    1E70A0BD-F85B-42C7-90A7-D7BAFAEC7801.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 48
What's wrong with reconnecting the existing fan or replacing it with a new window mounted one?

Yes the flex to it will be exposed, but there's nothing wrong with that.

From an aesthetics/designers point of view only.

If replacing kitchen for something more modern, then I would recommend, cooker hood and vent outside.

However if keeping the 70's themed kitchen, window fan has got to stay, but maybe straighten it up and recommend dropped pine celling with good old fashion spots lights to complete the theme. :)

Love how they have ensured you can isolate the washing machine (in an event of fault) by having it plugged in from above. Way ahead of there time. ;)

If replacing kitchen for something more modern, then I would recommend, cooker hood and vent outside.

However if keeping the 70's themed kitchen, window fan has got to stay, but maybe straighten it up and recommend dropped pine celling with good old fashion spots lights to complete the theme. :)

Love how they have ensured you can isolate the washing machine (in an event of fault) by having it plugged in from above. Way ahead of there time. ;)
Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? 1596120250489 - EletriciansForums.net

Maybe show the client something like this, or this.
Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? 1596120393427 - EletriciansForums.net
See if they go for it?

View attachment 59806

Maybe show the client something like this. See if they go for it?
that would seriusly involve demolition of walls. is a sparks is uncomfortable with this, might need to call in a builder.Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? 1596120533405 - EletriciansForums.net arrgh.i swore on the forum and no redress.

So I’ve got a rewire coming up. There is one of those kitchen window fans put in as seen in the picture, but I don’t really want to reconnect to this or even replace it and use this type of fan as there’s going to be cable exposed leading into it.
Is a kitchen fan really needed? Shall I suggest that they get a cooker hood and vent it out instead?
Is the window being replaced?
If there is an existing extract fan you will need to have one. So either a new window fan or another such as a cooker hood with the same rate of extraction at least.

Is the kitchen being replaced? Love the pine tongue and groove on the walls. :)
They’re actually deciding to remove the wooden wall panels and try to modernise the kitchen. But they aren’t getting any units or anything probably just paint everything
[automerge]1596193044[/automerge]
What's wrong with reconnecting the existing fan or replacing it with a new window mounted one?

Yes the flex to it will be exposed, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Yeah I guess so, I just find it a little tacky. But I guess I’ll install a new one as I don’t want any blowbacks from an old fan. Easy question, I’ve put in bathroom fans but not kitchen ones, how many terminals are in the kitchen window fans? L/E/N or is there SL too? Also I was thinking to put a switched fused spur at the same height as the DS to operate a mk blank flex outlet plate which will be directly above the fused spur and then flex into the window fan? I’m assuming I can use a 3 core?
[automerge]1596193348[/automerge]

I spoke to them and they are not really renovating. They are trying to modernise on a budget (removing wooden panels, painting the cabinets lol, adding downlights).

They want to keep the window fan so I guess I’ll rewire it in.

You think the washing machine is bad, have a look at this...

Attachments

• Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? 2220996D-BF77-424E-A675-0E4EDBB06B6C - EletriciansForums.net
    2220996D-BF77-424E-A675-0E4EDBB06B6C.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Not far off turning it into a sauna ;)
Just need to add the main aspect - the electric cooker and we’re ready to go :p
[automerge]1596194286[/automerge]
View attachment 59806

Maybe show the client something like this, or this.
View attachment 59807
See if they go for it?
They’re on a proper budget, I would love to do a job like this
[automerge]1596194356[/automerge]
that would seriusly involve demolition of walls. is a sparks is uncomfortable with this, might need to call in a builder.View attachment 59808 arrgh.i swore on the forum and no redress.
I will demolish the walls with my hammer and bolster when I chase out ;)
[automerge]1596194405[/automerge]
Is the window being replaced?
If there is an existing extract fan you will need to have one. So either a new window fan or another such as a cooker hood with the same rate of extraction at least.
Yeah just gonna put a new window fan in

Last edited:

Reply to Rewire... Is a kitchen fan needed? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock