Discuss rewire pricing help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

amlu

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
hello, please point me in the right direction

did two jobs, both in 4 bedroom properties, working together on proper refurbishment under a dodgy building company.
one was moving 3pendants, 3 new sockets, 23 led spotlights on dimmers, new bathroom install, new kitchen, aerial+2 aerial sockets.

another one a full rewire including fuseboard and full testing. roughly 50 various points.

what is the real london price, excluding materials, kind of a starting up company.

not sure if its only me or the world around is crazy :)

first one i would allow 2 days. so £400ish + materials.

full rewire £4000 to £5000.

first one much higher IMO but depends how long or how much work was involved, got to be earning around £200+ a day plus expenses in London

hello, please point me in the right direction

did two jobs, both in 4 bedroom properties, working together on proper refurbishment under a dodgy building company.
one was moving 3pendants, 3 new sockets, 23 led spotlights on dimmers, new bathroom install, new kitchen, aerial+2 aerial sockets.

another one a full rewire including fuseboard and full testing. roughly 50 various points.

what is the real london price, excluding materials, kind of a starting up company.

not sure if its only me or the world around is crazy :)

So are you quoting or working out how much to charge somebody after you've done the job? Me confused!

reading between the lines, i think the OP has done this work for a builder and thinks he's been ripped off. nothing new there where builders are concerned.

one story from the big rewire job... installed 3 fire alarms...£100 in materials and cashed £100 for the work...
company invoiced the customer £500 for burglar alarms lol :( and £100 per aerial socket lol lol... I charged them £15 per point :(
proper dodgy mess.

so . the builder has had your pants down. don't work for him again.

Funny how us part P registered electricians are charging £200 per day when all the other trades who don't have the overheads want a lot more. Something doesn't seem right with the world....

glad i'll soon be out of it. going to retire at 70. then i might take up plumbing. far less stressful, better paid, and a bit of spilt sh** won't kill anyone.

I agree someone was had over, but I believe it was you!! The customer will pay what the going market rate is for the work if done properly and any sensible customer gets at least 3 quotes. Other replies spot on, chalk it up to experience and try not to get stuffed again. Although I feel in the current climate we are all in for a stuffing!

To Guitarist post:
Know what you mean, sometimes shocked at what people pay for decorating, kitchen fitting, plumbing, mechanics etc etc in comparison.

It seems to me, (and backed up by alot of posts on this forum and others), that we (as electricians) under sell ourselves far too readily. Why do we put such little value on our own hard earned skills and knowledge? Why do we sometime seem embarrassed or unable, or even unwilling, to charge? (not just for the time it takes to install), but for the time it takes to decide how to install it correctly, to design the circuit or installation within a myriad of Regs (ever changing), and then to test and complete the piles of paperwork, and then sign our name off on the dotted line accepting all the risks associated.

Just interpreting the Regulations should be worth at least £25 of anybodies money, just go into any solicitors and see how much they charge for an interpretation. When you know how to do something perhaps it seems less valuable? but to someone who knows nothing about it, it seems like electricery, wizardry...they cant do it or do it correctly and safely.... so lets start putting some value back into the knowledge we all have and charge accordingly.

Know what you mean, sometimes shocked at what people pay for decorating, kitchen fitting, plumbing, mechanics etc etc in comparison.
Mother-in-law has just paid out £2500 to get their Porsches serviced and some new tyres but won't fork out £10 for me to sort out their bonding which doesn't exist...

The price has just risen to £50...

and £50 is still too cheap. price at £150.

To Guitarist post:

It seems to me, (and backed up by alot of posts on this forum and others), that we (as electricians) under sell ourselves far too readily. Why do we put such little value on our own hard earned skills and knowledge? Why do we sometime seem embarrassed or unable, or even unwilling, to charge? (not just for the time it takes to install), but for the time it takes to decide how to install it correctly, to design the circuit or installation within a myriad of Regs (ever changing), and then to test and complete the piles of paperwork, and then sign our name off on the dotted line accepting all the risks associated.

Just interpreting the Regulations should be worth at least £25 of anybodies money, just go into any solicitors and see how much they charge for an interpretation. When you know how to do something perhaps it seems less valuable? but to someone who knows nothing about it, it seems like electricery, wizardry...they cant do it or do it correctly and safely.... so lets start putting some value back into the knowledge we all have and charge accordingly.

I totally agree, a fair payment for professional work.... Then Dave down the pub quotes and I get the phone call... "Thank you for quoting, but Dave will do it for £10 per hour, cash in hand"
Until the powers that be really put the frighteners on cowboys (who they know all about), then it will continue to be an uneven playing field.

I agree someone was had over, but I believe it was you!! The customer will pay what the going market rate is for the work if done properly and any sensible customer gets at least 3 quotes. Other replies spot on, chalk it up to experience and try not to get stuffed again. Although I feel in the current climate we are all in for a stuffing!

The going market rate is dragged down by all this B***cks about the present climate and the economy....its all carp, 20+billion on the Olympics in a recession I dont think so, god knows how many billions a week on weapons and wars in a recession I dont think so, quantitative easing is just giving the banks more money to do with as they wish, under the guise of "its a recession (caused by the banks) so we must have some strategy to deal with it, I know lets give the banks some more money", the more people say there's a recession, the more its repeated, the more people start to believe it and then of course are frightened and the cycle goes on and on.

The going market rate is dragged down by all this B***cks about the present climate and the economy....its all carp, 20+billion on the Olympics in a recession I dont think so, god knows how many billions a week on weapons and wars in a recession I dont think so, quantitative easing is just giving the banks more money to do with as they wish, under the guise of "its a recession (caused by the banks) so we must have some strategy to deal with it, I know lets give the banks some more money", the more people say there's a recession, the more its repeated, the more people start to believe it and then of course are frightened and the cycle goes on and on.

I blame the media. All I see and hear is "Run for the hills, there's a recession....no, a double-dip recession....no, the worst economic climate since records began when fred flintstone was a lad....."

I have spoken to many people about this very subject, and the general consensus is that they are not spending because the nice people on the news keep telling them that we are in a bad way. Just imagine how fast the economy would grow if the news channels started telling people that it's all over and to start spending... We keep being told that "it's all about confidence" afterall.

Hey, I'm rubbish at quoting and will never be a millionaire. I went to a job the other day (a TT refurb 1980s DIY special) and couldn't be bothered to quote, so i said to the guy, I'll do it on day rate nice and cheap at £120 a day. He bit my hand off, however, after about 3rd day he was trying to tell me 'I want these downlights down, these ceiling roses, this fused spur, rewire this kitchen cause plasters need to be in here in half an hour and when you've done that sink the earth stake and then test it all today, friday you have'nt got time to stand there and have a smoke" I said no chance of getting all that in a day (**** weasel), he said "well I'd prefer it all done today" LOL I bet you would sunshine.... no chance.

To him it was push downlights into ceiling, attach roses to ceiling, screw fcu to wall put some boxes and cable into kitchen wall and hammer a rod into the ground simples...not. Waffling and out of wine, but morale of story is that I did it because he has loads of work in london, found out at end of day its all galv metal conduit work all on show for that industrial look...now thats out of my league, maybe I'll get to design and install, test and inspect........

I blame the media. All I see and hear is "Run for the hills, there's a recession....no, a double-dip recession....no, the worst economic climate since records began when fred flintstone was a lad....."

I have spoken to many people about this very subject, and the general consensus is that they are not spending because the nice people on the news keep telling them that we are in a bad way. Just imagine how fast the economy would grow if the news channels started telling people that it's all over and to start spending... We keep being told that "it's all about confidence" afterall.
Frightening really isn't it, but what do we expect? everyone is glued to the box watching eastenders, the olympics, big fcker and xfactor, dumbing down, believe what your told on the box fox news, or bbc, then the people making the real money can maneuver as they please.......look at Greece they voted to abstain from borrowing more money (austerity measures) and the president was removed and replaced with an EU/IMF lackey, re-voted (evedently) and wouldn't you believe it, it comes out that the general population of Greece wants to pay German and whoever else 's banks have lent them money for the next how many generations. Its all fcked and no one gives a sh*t

Reply to rewire pricing help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock