Discuss Rewire South Yorkshire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

smithy151

I am in the process of completing on a 3 bedroom semi-detached property. The previous owner had never had it brought up to date in terms of electrics and therefore requires a rewire. This is something that we are hoping to complete ourselves, and have checked and signed off by a qualified electrician. What do you think is the possibility of this happening, will electricians sign off such a rewire? Thanks.

Just because it's old it doesn't necessarily need a rewire.

Are you familiar enough with the regs and electrical installation work in general to do the work? I doubt an electrician would sign of work he wasn't personally involved in. You can also notify your own work through the LABC and just pay the higher fees.

as above from marvo,

may not need a rewire, better off getting an electrician in to look at the installation and test maybe an eicr (electrical installation condition report) could only need a board change if that.

I am in the process of completing on a 3 bedroom semi-detached property. The previous owner had never had it brought up to date in terms of electrics and therefore requires a rewire. This is something that we are hoping to complete ourselves, and have checked and signed off by a qualified electrician. What do you think is the possibility of this happening, will electricians sign off such a rewire? Thanks.

So no doubt you got some reduction off the asking price to cover the cost of rewiring. ...And now instead of getting the property rewired professionally, you think you'll have a go yourself....

Bad idea in every sense, this is one area where you ''DON'T'' try and save a few pennies on a DIY job!! No self respecting electrician is going to put his name to your work, it'll be like putting his own head in a noose, waiting for the trap door to open!!

When the amendment to part P happened a while back provision was made to allow electricians to provide certification to work they have not carried out themselves. At present however no means of carrying this out has been introduced. What you are proposing is in theory possible....talk to an electrician first and get an ok before starting.I would not do it and dont know any that would. Why would I want to take legal responsibility for someone elses work?
Also consider your ability to rewire,it is a big job and poorly carried out will be a dangerous liability. Get a professional in,you know it makes sense.

No electrician will sign off another persons work, it is not allowed. I don't normally do this on here but I notice you are in Rotherham as am I, I would be more than happy to arrange a visit and advise you on the best course of action, as the guys have already said it may not require a rewire. It may look old tired but so do most of us on here doesn't mean we are ready for the knackers yard just yet.
Feel free to pm me with your details, there will be no charge for me to just pop and take a look for you, the offer is there.
Regards Glenn

ther eyou go, smithy. an offer you can't refuse. GMES will give you a fair assessment of the installation and recommend the best course of action. and you won't get ripped off. no brainer.

I am off to work now, but I am working in Rotherham all day so if you pm me Smithy remember to leave a contact number.
Enjoy your day guys will will be back later ( I need to get a life )

One important factor that most DIYer's don't realise is that most sparks will often have ideas and solutions that they would never think of.

As for saving money, helping with the chasing, drilling holes and making good can be there for you to do.

Reply to Rewire South Yorkshire in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net