Discuss Rewiring a 2 bed house to be rented out - SPD required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Have a look at regulation 443.4. As far as I read it SPD's are not required in domestic households. However it is not completely clear. The most relevant part of the regulation states with regards to 'single dwelling units' (which I guess means domestic) that "the total value of the installation and equipment does not justify such protection".

Well that’s bowlucss then, my fridge freezer worth more than an SPD. Then there’s the Sky box.......

Liverpool, more risk in getting your van done over..........
in Liverpool, we leave vans unlocked, house back doors open. southern thieving scum know that the Anfield Mafia will chop their hands off if they come up here thieving. :D:D:D.

Well that’s bowlucss then, my fridge freezer worth more than an SPD. Then there’s the Sky box.......
I read it as they are assuming the total value of the installation will never justify a SPD in a single dwelling not 'if' the value of the equipment justifies it?

Don't you love the regs! The single most important resource for all electrics and it can be interpreted in so many different ways.

Ps.. I take back what I said about the poll. If everyone votes 'no', I think I would be swayed by that, as long as it was a large enough number.

The poll is poorly worded.

I voted yes, because personally I would prefer to fit the SPD.

That is not the same as suggesting that it is a requirement to do so.

I think I must have a different version of the Regs than most people on this thread... I think it's very clear when they should be fitted... Look up the 'Lightning Flash Density' [Ng] (nice pretty picture) then consider Urban or Rural Suburban location [fenv]... if unsure of the Ng, err high, if unsure of the fenv, err low.

I think there's a sales opportunity here... I'll charge only 100 Sesterces for calculation if anyone needs to fit an SPD ! Special offer closes soon !!!

I have fitted them in consumer units, stand-alone enclosures and current using equipment.

If the question asked actually means would I carry out a risk assessment and base my customer advice on that finding then yes.

Costs are dropping and in a couple of years we’ll probably be fitting them as standard.

If it were me I would just fit one.
Up to you, like mentioned earlier ask the customer, but if they dont want one I'd strongly suggest you get them to sign a piece of paper explaining the risks.

Risk assessments are not required for single dwellings but I don't see how a £60-£100 SPD can outweigh the cost of the electrical appliances connected to an installation. Lets say the tennants 4K TV blows up (not surge related) and the tenant makes a claim on their insurance. Theres a strong chance an investigator could come round and check for a SPD and as a result they may not pay out. Unfortunately the paper trail stops at the Electrician.

I've heard Direct line already have something in their small print, of course it could just be rumours. I wouldn't risk it.

As per the title, if you were rewiring a small house to be rented out would you, or should you fit an SPD?

Doing one soon and been screwed down on price a bit further than we would like ideally. However we have a quiet few weeks until a couple of bigger jobs start and it's local and empty.

Veering towards not fitting one to be honest. The regs, as ever, are in my opinion inconclusive. They don't appear to specify exactly when SPD's are required.
To my understanding SPD's are not required in town's and larger urban areas but should be fitted in smaller rural areas and in the outskirts of town's where they become more rural

Rewiring a 2 bed house to be rented out - SPD required? 245200C4-656C-44AF-8737-F58399032A20 - EletriciansForums.net
Remember the storm of 2013 I wonder how much damage was done to electrical equipment in that day.
Our parents always pulled the plugs and aerial leads out during storms, now we just live life (and buy a new TV if it blows up!)

My 2p's worth.

If I don't do a full risk assessment, but insist a domestic customer has an SPD anyway, then I may be mis-selling (also may make me less competitive). The get-out clause for domestic is IMO open to interpretation, but I believe it's not my place to judge the value of someone's installation, and that it should be up to the informed customer to decide.

Would I bother to fit one in my own home? No.

Reply to Rewiring a 2 bed house to be rented out - SPD required? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock