Discuss rewiring existing ceiling fan with light on a 4way & 3way(separate?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
existing fan w/light;2switches(3&4way);can i put fan one 1 switch and light on the other switch?

So I want to be able to turn off the light and keep the fan going. I currently have to unscrew the light bulb in order to have the fan running without light. Can I have the light on one switch and the fan on the other switch?

currently, when either switch is put in the ON position the light comes on. if the fan's pull chain was in the OFF position then the fan stays still, if pulled to the low med or high position then of course it starts when either switch is put ON. However, the light doesn't have a pull chain for its own separate operation. If I'm willing to have the fan only operate at one speed, can i switch the pullchain to control the light, and the fan be the primary function controlled by the switches?

Attachments

• WIN_20191127_16_22_21_Pro.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 6
  • WIN_20191127_16_21_27_Pro.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 6
  • WIN_20191127_16_23_39_Pro.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 5
existing fan w/light;2switches(3&4way);can i put fan one 1 switch and light on the other switch?

So I want to be able to turn off the light and keep the fan going. I currently have to unscrew the light bulb in order to have the fan running without light. Can I have the light on one switch and the fan on the other switch?

currently, when either switch is put in the ON position the light comes on. if the fan's pull chain was in the OFF position then the fan stays still, if pulled to the low med or high position then of course it starts when either switch is put ON. However, the light doesn't have a pull chain for its own separate operation. If I'm willing to have the fan only operate at one speed, can i switch the pullchain to control the light, and the fan be the primary function controlled by the switches?
Sam welcome to the forum and less don’t make this to complicated to do what you want to do. To my knowledge you can go and buy new switches for your ceiling fan. What your suggestion is way to much work for a simple matter. Good luck

my take on this would be to replace the light bulb with a "smart" bulb that has a remote control system. then you could turn the light on and off with the remote as and when

Reply to rewiring existing ceiling fan with light on a 4way & 3way(separate?) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net