Discuss Rewiring Grade 2 listed buildings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LlandrilloSpark

Evening fellas
Just won a job rewiring a 5 bed detached grade 2 listed farmhouse, as u would expect the LABC have severe limitations on what the developer can do to the building, when I asked him if they mentioned any specific spec for rewiring he said he didn't know, have any if you guys had and experience rewiring grade 2 listed?, the building has a thatched roof and bats dwelling in the attic!, I've got to make sure all the upstairs lighting & loft wiring is completed before they seal the roof space for the bat breeding season!

Hi I worked in a thatched cottage all the wiring in the loft was in PVC conduit I don't know if this was stipulated or if the electrician was just being extra careful just incase there were mice.
I would phone the LABC just to check.
Good luck

Grade 2 listing is mostly concerned with the external appearance of the building, so there shouldn't be any special considerations for wiring. Regarding the thatch, BC won't have too much to say about it, but 99% of the time insurance companies will insist on full fireproofing from the cieling below (intumescent seals in ducts, rated DLs etc etc). They will also want all the cabling in conduit to protect against rodent damage and also for fire protection. Most require steel conduit in the roof space for those reasons as opposed to plastic.

Make sure your customer contacts his insurance company and asks for their requirements. You must have them in writing, and use them as part of the spec for the design.

Worth checking with the building insurers for their requirements. Some look for MICC in loft areas. Google "Dorset Model".

Regards.

OOps, beaten by Imago

-Wiring must be protected against rodents
-Keep wiring away from sides/ on any beams where thatchers may plant their metal spikes
-Heat alarm in the roof space
-Outside lights to be.....something distance from the thatch

Those are the bits of the top of my head, as mentioned above google 'Dorset model'. I couldn't find a similarly well written document for devon and the insurers were no help on the last place (they didn't care) so I wired the alarm system in SWA (because I had it spare) and agreed with the customer to loose the rest of the wiring in there in around 6 months. Wall lights encouraged, would avoid downlights (and if they insist fit complete LED units so they can't swap them for Halogen filth)

The only "rules " are what the insurance company or the LBC insist on. My advice would be to speak to the powers that be regarding this property to save any hassle later on.

u need a spec from an archtect and a plan showing all the points i don,t know how u priced the job without one!
u could make a severe loss

Quoted for the rewire after we agreed what was wanted, customer has told me no specific guidelines, requirements or stipulations regarding the grade 2 listing.
In his acceptance letter to me it says any costs for any of the above can be added if needed, he is telling me not needed but I just wanted to see what experience of this others had.

I will run all suggestions past him so he can ask the questions with LABC and the architect

As for plans & drawings .....lol..,..this is North Wales, things are done on notebooks here whilst walking around the property, been that way since I moved here and it will never change, plans for new build only

Don't worry ayjay it's all documented, we have only priced the basics, I'm committing to nothing until I have it in writing that I don't need to install any special measures , if I do, It goes on the bill

Reply to Rewiring Grade 2 listed buildings in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net