Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Rewiring lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

currie123

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone still uses the joint box method of Rewiring a lighting circuit?

For example on an occupied upstairs downstairs house where you are Rewiring upstairs lighting circuit using existing conduit drops to switches.

I am attempting to price such a job and reason I ask is I think I would struggle to get 3 1.5mm cables down the old conduit drops, obviously I can loop in at lights but with all these fancy fittings nowadays having 3 cables at the fittings is a pain!

If wiring using joint box method then it would be located in the loft space in a suitably accessible position, any thoughts?

Cheers

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
i would loop at the lights and where necessary use a line enclosure (see line products, forum sponsor) in the attic above the light/s. far easier and quicker than using screw terminal boxes.

C

currie123

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Okay tel thanks what about wago boxes as opposed to line? Wagos are good not used line before yet.

Sounds okay I just can imagine having to use these boxes above 3/4 of the fittings which doesn't sound the best ?

F

Fin170

We usually take it all (via clever pulling and use of trucking lids as rods) too a wiring centre full of push ins/ crimps, most cost effective way when it comes to too much laminate, loft junk and chipboard

C

currie123

Ok cheers then I guess if it's non screw type then it's maintenance free so is fine, definitely an option

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
wago boxes are fie, . also, as fin says, you could take several lights and switch wires to an adaptable box wiring centre and fit wagos in that.

1shortcircuit

Have a read here to see the line enclosures and maintenance free connectors:thumbsup

S

sparks1973

Hi guys

Wondered if anyone still uses the joint box method of Rewiring a lighting circuit?

For example on an occupied upstairs downstairs house where you are Rewiring upstairs lighting circuit using existing conduit drops to switches.

I am attempting to price such a job and reason I ask is I think I would struggle to get 3 1.5mm cables down the old conduit drops, obviously I can loop in at lights but with all these fancy fittings nowadays having 3 cables at the fittings is a pain!

If wiring using joint box method then it would be located in the loft space in a suitably accessible position, any thoughts?

Cheers
no....its nothing short of an atrocious method of wiring lighting systems....loads of cables stuffed into joints....joints inaccessable for inspection....just gets worse the more i think about it.....

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
can't beat a good bit of spider wiring with nothing marked and all cables buried under 2ft of itchy-poo. sorts the men out from the boys fault finding.

D

DurhamSparky

just been to one of them type of set ups...!!!

turned out to be a connector block that come loose...!!! stripped it out and replaced it with a click fitting i had in my pocket!!

lol.... better than connector block..! lol.. could not be bothered to walk to van and get wagos

C

currie123

Ha ha ok guys cheers i think il either go for the loop in at lights and joint above fittings as required with line or wago boxes if I get the job that is!

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Reply to Rewiring lighting circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
Top Bottom