Discuss Rewiring - Some questions, don't want to get done again... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Paramount originally came from the commercial sector used as lightweight office partitions.
The melamine covered will have done the same.

Apart from Strawmit which has conduits formed inside it, Paramount has got to be the easiest wall material to add sockets / switches without the need to chase.

"
saw some offcuts in a skip for student accomadation:)"

Great idea that, using a skip for student accommodation!

"
saw some offcuts in a skip for student accomadation:)"

Great idea that, using a skip for student accommodation!
you'd need a tarpaulin over the top, else students would winge about getting their hair wet. even worse, their tan might run when it rained.

Yes, what is that all about??
think it's to do with if you reply to 2 posts within a certain timescale, it puts both your replies into a single post.

Get your spark to pull the cables for the kitchen circuits and leave above old kitchen with plenty of slack. Chances are that the rest of the house will be finish before you do the kitchen and who wants to chance walls and lift new carpet then.

Conduit in cavity walls is a nice touch but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it if not done.

Insulation can make a major issue with the cable carrying capacity, but for a ring main in a domestic enviro which will very rarely carry any where near its maximum capabilities especially for a sustained amount of time is very unlikely. Don’t sweat over that

Always get smokes hard wired and interlinked in some way in my opinion. Either wireless or hardwired. Why wouldn’t you?

Boiler to be wired on desperate circuit if possible. Pumps, fans and water are likely to fail and cause faults at some point. Be nice to be able to isolate this until plumber get there without the rest of the house being out.

Get your spark to pull the cables for the kitchen circuits and leave above old kitchen with plenty of slack. Chances are that the rest of the house will be finish before you do the kitchen and who wants to chance walls and lift new carpet then.

Conduit in cavity walls is a nice touch but I wouldn’t lose sleep over it if not done.

Insulation can make a major issue with the cable carrying capacity, but for a ring main in a domestic enviro which will very rarely carry any where near its maximum capabilities especially for a sustained amount of time is very unlikely. Don’t sweat over that

Always get smokes hard wired and interlinked in some way in my opinion. Either wireless or hardwired. Why wouldn’t you?

Boiler to be wired on desperate circuit if possible. Pumps, fans and water are likely to fail and cause faults at some point. Be nice to be able to isolate this until plumber get there without the rest of the house being out.
Yawn. Have you read any of the previous posts. Guess not.

Thanks for all the advice and knowledge shared. Its much appreciated. Electrics and the amount of regulations is crazy but at least I know what should be done so its safe and correct. I guess most is common sense but as in any industry people like to take shortcuts because they can't be bothered to spend an extra 2 mins to do it correctly.

Happy sunny Sunday everyone!
Here's all the right notes, in the right order, for this thread:

Happy sunny Sunday everyone!
Here's all the right notes, in the right order, for this thread:

Seen it live way way back when I wer a mere Lad looking for Ladies.
[automerge]1567347239[/automerge]
Seen it live way way back when I wer a mere Lad looking for Ladies.
Found one and I still love her.

Last edited:
Hi, just to update the poor electrician came today to discuss the rewire... he must hate me as I was asking lots of questions although the Mrs did make him a cuppa and gave him cake... I didn't tell him I was getting help from you lot.

1. He said he will loop at the switch, not the light fitting as it makes it easier to upgrade things later? I know you can loop at the switch and light but is one preferable. I asked how, said he uses Wago terminals in the back box of the light? I nodded like I knew what he was talking about, but is sounds better than the tape the last bloke used.

2. With regards to the external lights (PIR Lantern ones) / smoke alarms he is putting up, said he will use a junction box to tap into lighting circuit? Kind of makes sense, but given its a rewire can't it be done without breaking my brand new circuit?

3. Said the consumer unit is ok, a cheaper one with not much space to add more circuits so suggested not to put smoke alarms on separate circuit as we might run out of space for more useful things later on given that we plan further work. That's annoying... I can see a larger consumer unit being needed later on :(

4. He did say he would prefer to do it after the boiler has been done, as he doesn't trust them to not ruin his work or bugger something up... lol.

Seemed like a good bloke, I will let you know how we get on. Again, very appreciative of people's help. Before, the last problems I would never have thought of asking so many questions but with electricity you can't be too careful.

Reply to Rewiring - Some questions, don't want to get done again... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock