• Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net. We hope you find the information you are looking for. But if you don't manage to, please feel free to Register and ask a question yourself. You can delete your account at any time should you quickly find the answers to what you need.

Discuss RF Smart Relay Samples in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Dear Community,

We want to ask for your help and expertise. Our company is giving away free samples of our new RF Smart Relay product. It is our first device which aims into simplifying and reducing the time and costs of electrical installations of any type. If you are interested in our product and would like to test and review it, please contact us, and we will ship it to you.

For more information, please visit our website.

RF Smart Relay | Case Studies | KAFTS Technologies - https://www.kaftstechnologies.co.uk/rfsmartrelay

Or contact us on our email.

[email protected]

Best regards,

KAFTS Team

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Thanks for creating a promotional thread here. :)

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, Dan, for the message. We have chosen this forum as we have found it the most active and one of the biggest in the UK. Also, the number of threads and the topics gives the impression that many active members are top professionals in the industry.

Our company is a start-up, and we have experience in designing and manufacturing devices rather than installing. We want to make a positive impact on the market, and for this, we need feedback and expertise of potential users. Our goal is to design and manufacture all devices in the UK and primarily for the UK market.

If anyone has any comments, questions or ideas, we would be happy to hear them. We want to design devices for you.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Thank you for the question.

The size and shape of Smart Relay should fit into a standard square gang box. Please find the attached picture.

It must be a plastic box as metal one is going to short circuit the PCB. Also, wireless communication is not going to work through a metal enclosure.

We are planning to provide plastic plates that are going to help with mounting the device in a variety of installations. Unfortunately, we are unable to give timeframes for them.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor

KAFTS Technologies Smart Relay.JPG

mattg4321

-
Arms Access
The fact it can't be used with a metal box is quite restrictive. I probably wouldn't use it for that reason in all honesty.

Also, it seems a bit amateurish that it would short out that easily. I'd rather fit something that wasn't designed as a bare PCB to be fitted inside a switch. Presumably you can't use these with decorative metal plates either?

Sorry it's not meant as a dig, just how I see it.

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Thank you, Matt, for the comment. It is valuable for us to hear every opinion.

The wireless communication of any type will decrease performance or not work at all when the device is enclosed in a fully metal box. If you would use decorative, metal switch, but on the back, there will be a plastic box, then it will still keep a high RF range.

We have got a few ideas on how to avoid shortening, even when direct contact with metal is present. We will take your suggestion into account and implement a solution in the next product revision.

Also, apologies for the amateurish appearance of the product, it is an early stage.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Thank you, Dan, for the message. We have chosen this forum as we have found it the most active and one of the biggest in the UK. Also, the number of threads and the topics gives the impression that many active members are top professionals in the industry.

Our company is a start-up, and we have experience in designing and manufacturing devices rather than installing. We want to make a positive impact on the market, and for this, we need feedback and expertise of potential users. Our goal is to design and manufacture all devices in the UK and primarily for the UK market.

If anyone has any comments, questions or ideas, we would be happy to hear them. We want to design devices for you.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor
I'll have you know it's THE biggest in the UK. 😁😁😘😘

We've worked hard on this bad boy. :)

Thanks again.

davesparks

-
Arms Access
@KAFTS LTD
How is it secured in the plastic dry lining box, or is it just loose in there?
Those cables appear to be squashed into a very small space at the top, do you have a clear picture of the actual connections of the cables in the box. I suspect that there is undue strain on the connections which will fall foul of current regulations and best practice.

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Thank you, Dave, for the message.

Please let us give a more detailed answer to this question and come back to you in a day or two. We are not going to ignore it; we will have to prepare examples, take more pictures and describe in more details. We will be thankful for your patience.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor

Does the product only work point to point between 2modules? Are you currently planning to only have one version of the module that acts as both input/Tx and Rx/output? It would be more useful if it could be controlled from a separate controller for home automation/BMS/IoT applications. It could also be worth making a smaller device without the output relay for accepting and transmitting inputs from switches etc, if this could be made and sold cheaper. Perhaps also a battery powered version, as currently you still have to run some form of cabling to both the switch and load to be controlled, so you may as well just run a cable between the two.

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Thank you for the questions, Shaun1.

The product doesn't work only between 2 modules. You can configure it to work as a mesh network, where one module controls many relays and the other way when many modules control one relay. It is an N to K control network where N and K at the moment are configured to be maximum 4.

The same device acts as a sensor for a switch and as a relay for control. Also, it could be both at the same time.

At the moment, we have developed one module that acts as both. We have taken this approach because of the time and costs involved in the development of such a device. We want to develop a sensor only device, that is going to be powered via solar cell or the switch movement itself. It would not require battery change or any maintenance. Before stepping into the next development phase, we want to collect as much information from potential users.

The device as we designed it on at the moment has the option of being powered from battery, DC power supply or mains. The relay is a latch-type, and this means that when it is in any state, it doesn't consume any power. The implication is that if the power supply is down, the relay doesn't change its state.

I am not sure did I understand the last sentence correctly. The system doesn't require any cables between the devices. For example, you could use one unit in your home with a wall switch and the second one in your garage, shed or other building to control lights, water pump or anything that you want to turn on-off. Both of them could be powered from different voltages, and they will communicate wirelessly. I am not sure does this example answers your question. Please let me know if I should clarify anything more.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor

Lister1987

-
Trainee Electrician
Subscribed Member
Am sure I already posted this but could you give some real world examples of this is action, what it could be used for.

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Thank you, Lister1987 for the question.

We will be posting examples of use within the next day or weeks.

darkwood

-
Staff member
TA
Arms Access
It appears you are still in the feedback stage here after designing and realising the original concept, of course we are happy to pin our queries up and give our reactions too.

I have slight issue that this board will have exposed live parts on the pcb if powered low voltage or switching low voltage (correct me if I am wrong), I would be surprised if this unit 'as shown' is compliant for sale into our market, my surprise is if you could sell this into the market while putting the expectation of making it 'safe to use' on the installer or even the end user, safe design covers the buyer, installer and end user. Even our mcb's within the consumer units are now required to have finger safe terminals even though only trained installers or test engineers would ever be involved with them while terminals are exposed so hopefully you can see my concerns.

I would strongly recommend creating a suitable housing over the pcb with mounting holes and possible din rail mount option.

I think your idea to fit this into a single socket plastic housing is poorly conceived, not only does it limit and restrict cable entry and common glanding methods but terminal entry is extremely restrictive and would promote poor termination and the problem that would come with such, your uploaded picture clearly demonstrates this issue. I would give up on that path imho and create or redesign it into a insulated housing on the lid section with easier termination positions that then can be screwed onto any back box be they metal or plastic (thinking similar to a heating/timer control often found fitted to a double backbox in many houses).

Sorry for the blunt response but hopefully this may save you some costly errors down the line :)

KAFTS LTD

Promo Thread Author
Thank you for your message, Darkwood.

I understand your concerns about safety and compliance. The EU law states that every device has to be CE compliant when entering the EU market. If you are the manufacturer in the EU, it is your responsibility to be compliant with CE directives. If, for example, you are buying from outside of the EU (through Amazon or eBay) and they are coming from China, then you are considered as the importer, and it is your responsibility for the CE compliance.

Depending on what is the device, different standards apply. For Smart Relay that we designed, there are no harmonised standards, and this means that the usual EMC and Safety standards apply. Part of being compliant, we had to state that the device is for installation, use and maintenance only by a certified installer or electrician. In addition to this, there are some safety guards described in the datasheet, which is also a CE requirement. There are several other parts of the CE compliance that the device has to meet:

EN 300 220-2 V 2.3.1
EN 301 489-3 V1.3.1
EN55032
EN55014
FCC Part 15
Class B for domestic use
EN61000-4:5:2014
UL/CUL 60950
IEC/EN 60950
IEC/EN60335
IEC/EN61558-2-16

The 230 V on the PCB is regulated by the UL60950 standard saying about the clearance and creepage of the PCB tracks.

At the moment we are convinced that the device, together with instructions and safety guards advice, meets these standards. Please note that like every other electrical equipment, if installed or used not as the instructions or datasheet is stating, then can be dangerous. For example, if you would buy a driller and use it in heavy rain, then it could shock you. The manufacturer usually states that the equipment is for use in a dry environment. Taking the same approach, we have informed that our device is designed to use inside a plastic box and should not be operated when under high voltage.

Please note that we understand the CE Certification Law and also fully agree with your comments. You are right that this is not the final device we want to sell, and any feedback is precious for us. Thank you again, Darkwood for the reply and for you time. We are definitely going to note this.

Best regards,
Damian Gowor

Trending Threads

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom