Discuss RFC and Radials for Computers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding RFC and Radial circuits.

Regarding the radial circuits. I have been reading a few post lately regarding the use of a 16amp MCB radial in 2.5mm T&E that when installed on a 16amp MCB that there should be only one socket connected to the circuit. Is there a regulation that states this ? I thought it would be unlimited. As I have done before ran a radial circuit in 2.5mm T&E to feed a router, PC/CCTV, intruder alarm and fibre box and installed on a 16amp MCB type C. This was a temp install but didn’t think there would be any problem as the load would be so low ??

Also in the process of supplying sockets for a school through another company. I have been reading that when supplying sockets that are dedicated for computers they should be wired in RFC with also a high Integrity earth also installed and should be wired in 4mm if not mechanically protected ? Is this correct
Any advice will be much appreciated thanks in advance

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding RFC and Radial circuits.

Regarding the radial circuits. I have been reading a few post lately regarding the use of a 16amp MCB radial in 2.5mm T&E that when installed on a 16amp MCB that there should be only one socket connected to the circuit. Is there a regulation that states this ? I thought it would be unlimited. As I have done before ran a radial circuit in 2.5mm T&E to feed a router, PC/CCTV, intruder alarm and fibre box and installed on a 16amp MCB type C. This was a temp install but didn’t think there would be any problem as the load would be so low ??

Also in the process of supplying sockets for a school through another company. I have been reading that when supplying sockets that are dedicated for computers they should be wired in RFC with also a high Integrity earth also installed and should be wired in 4mm if not mechanically protected ? Is this correct
Any advice will be much appreciated thanks in advance
The high integrity earthing applies to circuits supplying IT stuff \,with possible high earth leakage, the is information in the OSG and BS 7671 which needs to be read before continuing with your installation.Sockets with two earth terminals are required ,and in the case of radials the cpc must be wired as a ring, see the diagrams in these books the are self explanatory.

As @Pete999 says this sort of thing is covered in the regs and OSG (pages 86-87), also a quick search will find examples on IET and professional electrician web sites.

While IT stuff is often quite low power, you can get quite a high inrush so you might find the likes of a 16A B-curve a bit trip-happy. You can have multiple sockets off it since it is safe from overload, but it is not good practice due to the likely tripping under what most folk would consider is normal use.

Also you will very likely reach the leakage limit for the RCD side long before you run in to load limits. So with lots of computers in, say, an open plan office area you would probably want to divide it up so you only have 5-10 computer set-ups per RCBO-fed circuit.

Even without the sockets featuring twin CPC terminals, having the ring final arrangement of a looped CPC gives you a significant reliability advantage. It is probably just as easy to put in a RFC as it is to put in radials with an extra CPC to loop at the last socket. Using, say, a 20A C-curve RCBO would make 2.5mm radials (with extra CPC) perfectly reasonable from a cable overload protection pint of view, and surge trip is slightly more than a 2.5mm RFC or 4mm radial on 32A B-curve since 20*(5..10) = 100...200A magnetic trip versus 32*(3...5) = 96...160A

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah the circuits are feeding several computers so will be installing a ring in 2.5mm but didn’t know if the 1.5mm CPC ring is adequate or have to install a further 4mm ring around all sockets for high integrity earthing ?

Plus the radial on a 16amp MCB have been reading other threads that are saying if on 16amp MCB then can only feed one socket. Where my thinking is that it can feed as many as you want as long as load taking into consideration?

Thanks in advance ?

Hi thanks for the reply.

Yeah the circuits are feeding several computers so will be installing a ring in 2.5mm but didn’t know if the 1.5mm CPC ring is adequate or have to install a further 4mm ring around all sockets for high integrity earthing ?

Plus the radial on a 16amp MCB have been reading other threads that are saying if on 16amp MCB then can only feed one socket. Where my thinking is that it can feed as many as you want as long as load taking into consideration?

Thanks in advance ?
Use sockt outlets with 2 cpc terminals and connect the cpcs to 2 different terminals on the earth busbar

Look at the OSG or regs for the details, but the 4mm (or 10mm) minimum earth is for a single conductor with (or without) mechanical protection.

For a RFC then the normal 1.5mm CPC is fine as you have two paths. Ideally you would also use the sockets with "high integrity" double earths so no single fault can allow one to become floating. That matters if folks plug in extension leads and so one "socket" really could have as many as 4-8 IT things attached leading to significant leakage.

Examples of such dual-earth sockets:

As above, a 16A MCB feeding several sockets is not unsafe - no difference from a fused spur off a RFC - but the risk of nuisance tripping means it is not very good practice. The magnetic trip of the MCB being more likely to go than a 13A fuse.

Unless you have a very good reason for that, going for 20A C-curve is better able to deal with typical usage.

FYI European standards where Radials are the norm are :
16amp @ 1.5mm including CPC maximum eight sockets.
20amp @ 2.5mm including CPC maximum twelve sockets, except in a kitchen where the maximum is six.
Double sockets count as two etc.

Reply to RFC and Radials for Computers in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock