Discuss RFC cross connect formula in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

gazdkw82

-
Arms
Reaction score
I may have asked this question before but I forgot what was said and the problem has reered it's ugly head again.

I was doing some RFC testing the other day. Did my cross connecting but when I was doing the calcs I kept getting the wrong figure. It seemed I was not pressing = before dividing by 4. Having corrected the way I did the formula (R1+R2 =, then ÷4) I got the correct figure.

However, I went on to do another RFC on the same installation and I got the opposite problem. If I did R1+R2= then divide by 4 it was the wrong predicted reading. Doing R1+R2÷4 (without the =) predicted the correct result.

What is the correct way to do it?

You add your line-line end to end resistance with your cpc-cpc end to end resistance then divide by 4 to get your calculated R1+R2 for the ring final circuit

so if you had a line to line of 0.11 and a cpc to cpc of 0.15 you would have the following formula.

0.26÷4

I prefer using the measured r1 + r2.
I only really use the calculated value, to confirm correct connection of the outgoing and returning legs of the conductors, when I can’t easily identify them.

Agree as we are required to measure and confirm protective conductor continuity etc for initial verification

I measure r1, rn and r2 and record the results.
I then connect the Line and CPC and take another measurement.
If that measurement matches the calculated r1 + r2, then I finish cross connecting and then go out into the field to measure the R1 + R2 at the sockets.
If it doesn’t match, I swap the end of one of the conductors and re-measure.

It's taught at college to verified by cross connecting and measuring at the outlets. If the readings are increasing then you have the wrong combination
bit confusing though Gaz, if you are taking readings at spurred sockets.

Don't you think that is wrong Gaz? the college is wrong imo, hence the confusion

Tbh iv used this method before in the workplace and it's proved to work. However that was on a RFC with no spurs so it was easy to figure out. I had them cross connected the wrong way and the readings just increased as I went around the ring, then started to decreas after the centre point of the ring

Reply to RFC cross connect formula in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock