Discuss ring fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

foghorn

no voltage live neutral at sockets any ideas surley if lost 1 neutral would still have voltage on the other leg all neutrals are connected in main fuse box

what have you tested so far? tell us what you've done and we can take it from there.

have checked neutrals are connected in main fuse box which they are and checked sockets am back there tomorrow to try and locate the problem

Have you checked the continuity of the neutrals via a tester across the 2 neutral cables in the DB to ensure the ring isn't broken?

that is the plan tomorrow however even if there is a break in the neutral i would have thought there should still be 230 as one leg still connected

A mouse could of got under the floor boards and eaten the PVC (as they can digest PVC) and then chewed through the neutral core without touching the cpc and thus the RCD if fitted would not trip, then if he got a liking for T&E he might of scampered along a bit further then stopped for another nibble and done the exact same thing on the other leg of the ring and hey presto no N at the socket.

yes i agree that is the plan tomorrow however what im asking is even if there is break in ring surley u would still get 230 as 1 leg still connected

- - - Updated - - -

kas1 i like your theory

that is the plan tomorrow however even if there is a break in the neutral i would have thought there should still be 230 as one leg still connected

Quite agree with you.

Has anyone been meddling with the sockets you are looking at as I find it hard to belive that you wouldn't loose the neutral on ALL of the sockets on ring.

What tester are you using?

Don't get obsessed with "there should be 230v down the other neutral",,, there isn't, you've proved it already.

Some Possibles.

1st neutral failed some time ago, 2nd failed recently.

The ring isn't what it claims to be and both neutrals from the C.U go to a J.B or socket/spur then off to the ring, but have failed at that point.

The 2 neutrals "connected" in the C.U are bad connections.

I'd be looking at the last one first.

Don't get obsessed with "there should be 230v down the other neutral",,, there isn't, you've proved it already.

Some Possibles.

1st neutral failed some time ago, 2nd failed recently.

The ring isn't what it claims to be and both neutrals from the C.U go to a J.B or socket/spur then off to the ring, but have failed at that point.

The 2 neutrals "connected" in the C.U are bad connections.

mmmm... the plot thickens

no Point going any further TBH, until the basic continuity tests which are the norm have been carried out this is like a bunion on a piece of toast.

yes i agree with mdj am back there tomorrow do some testing the strange thing is though emersian circuit been replaced due to faulty cable and since then fault with sockets which were ok before the emesian circuit had been replaced

when the IMMERSION heater circuit was replaced, was it disconnected properly and taken out of the CU or was it just cut cores in side CU then removed?

if it was the latter, then perhaps youve cut the wrong cores and there wasnt Neutral continuity in the first place.
or the Immersion circuit was actually part of the ring

id suggest going back over your repair job first, as thats were the problem starts

Reply to ring fault in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock