Discuss Ring Final CCT - Cable clipped direct to an outside wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

freedomrun

I've been asked to install a new RFC at a Ground Floor Flat. The Socket outlets for this circuit are going to be in a room at the rear of the property on the other side of the flat from the CU - the owner does not want me to install the cable through the Flat, but wants me to route the cable around the outside of the building ' Clipped Direct '. I have suggested conduit or trunking for the run, but the owner has asked for the cable to be clipped direct.

The cable height would be about 500 mm from the ground, maybe a bit more in a Horizontal run around the outside of the building. 30mA RCD protection is in use on all circuits.

I have pointed out that the cable will lack mechanical protection and exposure to UV - but i'm unable to find anything that states that this installation method would be outside the regs.

It might look rough, but if the owner has asked for this - should i proceed with the install in this way ??

conduit or use SWA. T/E clipped outside is a no-no. ( not suitable for the environment).

The customer has outside lighting already installed with T/E clipped direct, they want to reduce costs and SWA or Conduit will increase the estimate.

BS6004 that gives the standard for 624Y Twin and earth states that it should have an operating range of -5°C and +70°C as extremes of operating. BATT cables state their 624Y has a minimum bending temperature of 0°C and recommends it is not used where it is exposed to temperatures below 0°C for extended periods, it does not recommend it used for external use unless mechanically protected and not where temperatures will regularly drop again below 0°C.

There is no way in my mind that the installation of T&E for a circuit of this type would comply with the Regs as the cable is not designed or manufactured with this type of installation in mind, whilst it may not specifically say so it in the Regs, using a cable, accessory or other critical item outside of the specification decreed by the BSI cannot be compliant in my mind.

The customer needs to rethink this or you should walk away so at least you have your head held high on moral and professional grounds...

why dont you use SWA or Hi-TUF? im not sure what the problem is. its fine that the client wants to keep costs down but he shouldn't be doing it by compromising safety. does he want it done properly or not?

The customer needs to rethink this or you should walk away so at least you have your head held high on moral and professional grounds...

This!
Point him towards the pub for tradesmen more suited to his budget. The job that makes you drop your standards is the job that lumps you in the same boat as the jacks of all trades.

I recently replaced a length of T&E that had been exposed to all weathers for only a few years and it was all brittle and cracked, and that was only supplying an outside light. To propose running 2 lengths of the stuff along the outside of a house for a ring final is ludicrous.

i wouldnt install a rfc around the outer perimeter wall no matter what the cable / containment
stupid idea.
walk away.

I'm only going to install it if the customer agrees to a revision with plastic conduit used instead of clips. I'm not going to turn a job down as long as it complies.

does any side of the house back onto or ajoin a public passageway or alleyway ?
if it does i'd suggest steel conduit , anything else will get trashed.
in fact heavy gauge galv conduit is about the only method i'd consider using.

I'm not going to turn a job down as long as it complies.

It's not going to comply unless all plastics exposed externally are UV stable and adequate mechanical protection is achieved.

I'd consider SWA a reasonable solution for external exposed.

It is a total mess of a situation, and will not be a good solution.
However so long as the cable is suitable for the external influences (which T&E will not) then you can do it within the regs.
As you say you do not want to turn down work just because you do not like the way it is done,so long as it complies.
I would be tempted to put on the paperwork "cable run externally at customer request" or such like so you do not get any comeback later.
Do the best job you can but always safe and compliant.

If you were to do it neatly with swa, how would you make off the ends? Into adaptable boxes with tamper proof screws? To be honest any external method is going to look crap on a domestic property. What exactly is their reason for specifying this method?!

Customer is now saying they want to install it themselves ( probably get handyman to do it from the pub cheap ) and wants me to go back and give it a cert as they have read on the internet that Part P has changed !!! I'm walking away - what else can i do ???

tell them to go forth and multiply. this sort of customer you don't want.

Reply to Ring Final CCT - Cable clipped direct to an outside wall in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock