Discuss Ring Floodlight install above garage door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I plan on installing a ring floodlight onto the brick centered above my garage door. I have some pictured attached I marked in red where I plan to run cables. My brother has done some electrical work but is not licensed electrician. Based on my research and his knowledge it seems right to me to run MC lite 12/2 from a junction box which I purchased is a sigmas electric 4" circular with a 1/2 hole for wire that will be on brick outside garage. We plan to run the cable from junction box into garage then into attic to make a connection at a outlet. I am wondering if it is up to code to run mc lite through garage and up into attic without conduit or PVC (basically a 90 elbow from junction)? Any advice welcome looking to make install in a couple of weeks or hire electrician. Seen a bunch of videos of people not using correct wiring techniques like some that cut extension cords or have exposed nomex in garage. imageedit_4_7868296703.jpgimageedit_8_8665280718.jpgimageedit_14_8831072688.jpgimageedit_18_2326940507.jpg

Thanks,
Josh

Hi guys,

I plan on installing a ring floodlight onto the brick centered above my garage door. I have some pictured attached I marked in red where I plan to run cables. My brother has done some electrical work but is not licensed electrician. Based on my research and his knowledge it seems right to me to run MC lite 12/2 from a junction box which I purchased is a sigmas electric 4" circular with a 1/2 hole for wire that will be on brick outside garage. We plan to run the cable from junction box into garage then into attic to make a connection at a outlet. I am wondering if it is up to code to run mc lite through garage and up into attic without conduit or PVC (basically a 90 elbow from junction)? Any advice welcome looking to make install in a couple of weeks or hire electrician. Seen a bunch of videos of people not using correct wiring techniques like some that cut extension cords or have exposed nomex in garage. View attachment 85555View attachment 85556View attachment 85557View attachment 85558

Thanks,
Josh
Josh MC cable is approved for wet locations so you shouldn’t have nothing to worry about. I usually drill the brick with a 1 inch concrete drill bit and enter my wiring through the back of my box for the light so I won’t have any wiring exposed outside which makes it look a lot better. Make sure you strap it real good and when you drill through brick it needs to be sleeved with PVC conduit.

Reply to Ring Floodlight install above garage door in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net