Discuss Ring floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

Got a little dilemma. Customer has 3 up and down wall lights in back garden, one either side of the extension and one centre. All three switch on from wall light inside the house.

They've asked if I could swap the centre light with a ring floodlight camera. Upon checking unfortunately the centre light does not have a permanent live. Just the switched live. I could just short the switch out inside the houseand remove the lamps out the other two lights which isn't the end of the world however ideally they would like to keep the other two lights. Bit of a struggle to run a permanent live to the light as all newly plastered and painted walls etc inside the house.

Other option would be to take a fused spare from a socket behind where the centre light is and run a seperate feed through the wall however I'm stuck with the two lighting cables and these ring floodlights don't come with much room inside to hide all the cables. Id rather not use a j.b go hide the lighting cables as it could look a bit unsightly with the ring camera above but struggling with any other options and was interested how you guys would tackle it?

Regards

Andy

Either take a new feed from somewhere else and put the Ring where you can get it... or perhaps app controlled lamps in the other lights so they can still be turned on and off of the switch is always on.

Steinel do a range of Bluetooth controlled outdoor lights - up/downs, PIRs, floods, etc. I installed a few earlier this year, worked well but were not cheap.

Or change the lamps (e.g. if GU10) to smart lamps.

Do you know what great idea it didnt even enter my head. So obvious now. Saves alot of messing for both me and them. Yes gu10 they are. I'll have a scan on the Internet now. Thanks guys!

Ring make small solar pv panels to fix on the wall or with a several meter lead can be placed out of sight. can be used to power and charge most ring products. not sure if this will be compatible for your install but look into it

Reply to Ring floodlight in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net