Discuss Ring Fuse with 3 Wires in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi again,

Old wylex 3036 fuse board,
ring 30A fuse has three wires running from it, 3 neutrals together and three earths,

has anyone got any experience of this situation and what did they find was the cause,

could be a ring and a spur, or all three are connected to the ring somewhere, just seeing what things people have found them to be just to speed up my investigation,

I am sure this is quite common in older properties, I spotted this arrangement in my old house before years ago.

Yep I will be, just hoping to get some good tips on what peeps have found when they have come across this, I suspect it was done at the time of the installation as the client has lived there from when it was last done and knows that nothing has been added to the cu since,

Was it common to spur off from the ring fuse, in the good old days

Yep I will be, just hoping to get some good tips on what peeps have found when they have come across this, I suspect it was done at the time of the installation as the client has lived there from when it was last done and knows that nothing has been added to the cu since,

Was it common to spur off from the ring fuse, in the good old days

Can be done today nothing wrong with it really.

testing

Best to test it mate. I came across one with 5 phase and 5 neutrals. It was two rings and a radial on a 16 amp mcb. Surprised operating for 17 years.

My first property was a flat and the "ring" consisted of:

1 x 15A & a 2.5 cable
1 x 15A & a 2.5 cable

so unless you pulled both 15A fuses the "ring" was still live!

maybe you could do a ring test and identify the two legs of the ring main. then reconnect without the third leg and see whats not working, then maybe put that on its own fuse or make it become part of the ring or put in back where it was but mark up the board as of the findings (providing its not feeding a shower)

What you may find is a ring and a multi socket radial sharing the fuse - then what will you do.

Nothing surprises me any more wheh I remove the cover from a CU!

It's most likely an RFC with a spur straight out of the fuse but it could be anything really. Get your tester out bonny lad :)

Will me Neon Screwdriver be allreet for this, or shall I use me lampholder wi' two bits of wire coming oot of it??

My first property was a flat and the "ring" consisted of:

1 x 15A & a 2.5 cable
1 x 15A & a 2.5 cable

so unless you pulled both 15A fuses the "ring" was still live!

Ha! I have seen this before too, only with a 1.5mm "ring" supplying a dozen fluorescent grid fittings. One end in a 6A MCB, the other in a 10A.
Was done by "someone who knows electrics" who had also switched the neutral.

Reply to Ring Fuse with 3 Wires in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock